‘Fake pir’ arrested for ‘harassing’ women in Manikganj
Published : 31 May 2018, 15:29
Police on Wednesday arrested a ‘Pir’ (religious leader) for his alleged involvement in harassing women in Bhatbaur village of Sadar upazila.
The arrestee was identified as Abu Taher, 57, a residence of the village.
Locals said that Lutfur Rahman, a devotee of the Pir and hailing from Tillir Char village in Saturia upazila, used to visit him along with his wife with a hope to be blessed with a child.
Abu Taher tried to violate Lutfur’s wife with a promise to be blessed with a baby.
Later, Lutfur Rahman filed a written complaint with Dighi Union Parishad over the matter.
Following the allegation and other reports against the Pir, village arbitration was arranged on Wednesday where locals gave him a good thrash and handed over to police.
Rakibuzzaman, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station, said a case was filed against Abu Taher under Women and Children Repression Act.
- Most viewed
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- AL Anniversary: PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 23 June Births
- 23 June Deaths
- 23 June Events
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM