Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
Published : 23 Jun 2018, 16:07
Special envoy of the UN Secretary General on Myanmar Christine Schraner Burgener wrapped up her first official visit to Myanmar and underlined the importance of accountability, saying that it is essential for genuine reconciliation.
She urged the need for credible factfinding measures and highlighted the readiness on the part of the United Nations and the international community to cooperate in this regard.
“There’re more details in a note to correspondents we put out this morning," Farhan Haq, Deputy Spokesman for the Secretary-General told reporters in a regular press conference at the UN headquarters.
She met, among many others, State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi and the Commander-in-Chief, Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, as well as conflict-affected communities and families in Rakhine state, the United Nations country team, the diplomatic community and international NGOs.
In all the meetings, she stressed the need for inclusive solutions that integrate the views and important voices of women, Farhan said.
In this first visit, the Special Envoy focused on listening to all sides to better understand their diverse perspectives with a view to building trust and confidence, and establishing positive relations while promoting the key principles of the United Nations.
The Deputy Spokesman, on reported visit of UN chief to Bangladesh, said, "At this stage, as you know, with all trips, once we have an announcement ready, we'll announce it. We don't have anything to announce at this stage."
About the killing of Rohingya Arifullah in camp, he said they are aware of these latest reports, which are "disturbing".
“Obviously, we would hope that the local law enforcement authorities in Cox's Bazar investigate this thoroughly," he added.
- Most viewed
- Want to work for people until death: Prime Minister
- Rabindra-Nazrul Jayanti celebrated in London
- People stream to Suhrawardy Udyan for Hasina's reception
- Temperature may fall by (1-2)°C over country
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- 21 July Events
- 21 July Births
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- Putin, Macron, Kitarovic to watch World Cup final