Khaleda’s bail pleas in two cases rejected
Published : 05 Jul 2018, 13:35
Two separate courts here on Thursday rejected the bail petitions filed by BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in two cases one for celebrating ‘fake’ birthday and the other for undermining the country's map, national flag and the Liberation War.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Md Khurshid Alam rejected the bail petition of Khaleda Zia in the case filed for celebrating the ‘fake’ birthday while Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Md Ahsan Habib rejected the bail plea in the other case.
Earlier on June 21, the two courts fixed July 5 to pass their orders on the bail petitions of Khaleda Zia in the two cases.
Khaleda’s lawyers Advocate Sanaullah Miah filed the petitions before the two courts on April 12.
On November 17, 2016, a Dhaka court issued a warrant for the arrest of Khaleda Zia in the case filed for celebrating 'fake' birthday on the National Mourning Day on August 15.
Former joint general secretary of Dhaka Union of Journalists (DUJ) Gazi Zahirul Islam filed the case with the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's court accusing Khaleda of provoking people by celebrating her ‘false’ birthday on August 15. The case was filed under sections 198 and 469 of the Code of Criminal Procedures (CrPC).
In his complaint, Jahirul Islam said Khaleda’s date of birth was mentioned as August 15, 1946 in her latest passport while August 9, 1944 in her marriage registration and September 5, 1946, in her (unsuccessful) SSC mark sheet.
On November 3, 2016, President of Jananetri Parishad, a pro-Awami League organisation, AB Siddique, filed the other case with a court accusing Khaleda of undermining the country’s map, the national flag and the Liberation War.
On February 8 last, a special court here sentenced Khaleda to five years' rigorous imprisonment in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case. Since then she has been kept in Old Dhaka Central Jail.
- Most viewed
- Keto or vegan? Hear it from the nutritionist
- Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra: 5 times actress turned heads
- Wonder benefits of coconut oil
- Google faces record 4.3-bn-euro EU fine over Android
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- Sonam Kapoor's Truly 'The Good Wife'
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- Quota movement is discreet campaign against FFs children
- Theresa May wins key Brexit vote despite ongoing rebellion
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers