Khaleda’s bail extended in Zia Orphanage case until July 19
Published : 12 Jul 2018, 16:13
The High Court on Thursday extended the bail of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia until July 19 in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.
The HC bench of Justice M. Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman passed the order following a petition filed by Khaleda’s lawyer.
The HC also adjourned the hearing on the review petition filed by the BNP chief against a lower court verdict sentencing her to five years' imprisonment in the graft case.
Earlier, in the day, the HC started hearing on the review petition around 11 am following the order of the Supreme Court.
Khaleda’s lawyer Abdur Rezak Khan read out the FIR from the paper book while AJ Mohammad Ali read out the charge sheet before the court.
Barrister Moudud Ahmed said the bail of Khaleda Zia in the case expired today and the lawyers filed a petition before the court seeking extension of the bail .
Earlier on July 5, a petition was filed with the High Court seeking extension of its earlier order granting four-month interim bail to Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.
On March 12, the HC granted four-month bail to Khaleda in the case which will expire on July 12.
On February 8, the Dhaka Special Court-5 convicted the former Prime Minister and BNP chairperson and sentenced her to five years' imprisonment in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.
She was then sent to old central jail at Nazimuddin Road in the city.
- Most viewed
- Receiving Smita Patil award validates my choices: Anushka
- PM to receive 2 awards for her leadership over Rohingya issue
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- 20 September Events
- 20 September Births
- 20 September Deaths
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- Plan for 5-MRT, 2-BRT, 3-tier ring road, 6-expressway: Sheikh Hasina
- 14 September Births
- Dhaka University admission tests begin today
- 6 female activists of Jamaat held in Bogura
- 14 September Events
- 14 September Deaths
- Instagram rolls out new feature to help users with drug issues
- Halle Berry to make directorial debut with bruised
- Women should be proud of their beauty: Jhanvi Kapoor
- Choose natural plants to connect you to your interiors