British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara in city
Published : 22 Jul 2018, 11:32
British Prime Minister’s trade envoy to Bangladesh Rushanara Ali, MP arrived here on Saturday evening on a five-day visit to discuss how trade and investment ties between the two countries can be strengthened further.
Confirming her arrival in the city, an official told that she will start her visit officially on Sunday.
Earlier, a trade delegation of nine British railway companies, led by Rushanara, visited Bangladesh in September last, showcasing UK expertise in the railway sector.
The cross-party Trade Envoy programme was established in 2012 to build bilateral trade relationship and help drive economic growth in the countries identified as key markets for the UK.
The UK has strong business interests in Bangladesh as it remains one of the largest foreign investors, officials said.
Over 100 British companies are operating in sectors like retail, banking, energy, infrastructure, consultancy and education with main centres of operation in Dhaka, Chattogram and Sylhet.
The UK is also the third single largest destination for exports from Bangladesh.
- Most viewed
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Woman commits suicide after ‘stabbing husband’ in city
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- 18 August Events
- 18 August Births
- 18 August Deaths
- No cell phones at Deepika, Ranveer destination wedding
- Nick Jonas reaches India for engagement bash with Priyanka
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- Speaker pays homage to Bangabandhu