Man gets 14 yrs jail for torturing wife over dowry
Published : 13 Aug 2018, 18:13
A court here on Monday sentenced a man to 14 years rigorous imprisonment for torturing his wife for dowry in Faridganj Upazila of Chandpur in 2009.
The convict Awlad Hossain, 35, son of Abdul Kader of Gupti village in the upazila, has been on the run since 2009.
Judge Md Abdul Mannan of the Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal passed the order and also fined him Tk 25,000.
According to the case statement, Awlad had been torturing his wife for dowry since their marriage.
Later on May 28 2009, he poured hot water on his sleeping wife Selina Bagum, 30, leaving her severely injured.
Victim’s sister Swapna Begum filed a case with Faridganj Police Station in this regard.
- Most viewed
- Priyanka shares her bengali bride look
- 'I was raped at 16 and I kept silent'
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-PM arrives for questions in 1MDB case
- PM invited to WEF annual meeting
- Judi Dench honoured at Spain film festival
- PM urges int’l community to ensure easy transfer of technology
- Prime Minister for upholding dignity of UN peacekeeping
- 26 September Births
- 26 September Events
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- Plan for 5-MRT, 2-BRT, 3-tier ring road, 6-expressway: Sheikh Hasina
- Kenya lifts ban on lesbian film