Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
Published : 17 Aug 2018, 12:30
A schoolgirl who took poison reportedly after being caned and scolded by her headmaster died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) on Thursday.
The deceased was Sathi Akhter, 15, daughter of Iqbal Bepari of Khoyazpur village in Madaripur's Sadar upazila and a Class-X student of Charmugria Girls' High School.
Locals said Sathi, daughter of Iqbal's first wife, used to study staying at her maternal uncle's house at Peyarpur village.
She locked into an altercation with her two classmates in their classroom on Saturday.
As the matter came to the notice of headmaster Md Nur Hossain Hawlader, he caned the trio and rebuked them.
Returning from school, Sathi took poison and fell sick.
She was taken to Sadar Hospital from where she was sent to the DMCH on Sunday as her condition deteriorated. She, however, died on Thursday morning.
As the death news spread around, students of the school held a protest rally and formed a human chain demanding punishment of the teacher who went into hiding after the incident, said Sumon Deb, additional superintendent of Madaripur police.
The students also gave a memorandum containing their demand to the deputy commissioner and superintendent of police Subrata Kumar Halder.
The SP said a police team visited the village.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit