Jute cultivation target exceeds in Netrakona
Published : 04 Jun 2016, 02:02
The target of jute cultivation has been exceeded by the jute growers in Netrakona district this year.
As a result, nearly 50,000 bales of Jute are now expected to be produced in the district.
District Agriculture Extension Department (DAED) office sources here said, a target was fixed to cultivate Jute on 4,914 hectares of land in ten upazilas of the district with a production target of 43,138 bales of Jute.
But the Jute cultivators brought a total of 5,390 hectares of land under the cultivation exceeding this year's Jute farming target.
Of the total lands, 833 hectares were brought under cultivation of local variety of Jute, 285 hectares of olitorious variety, 3,755 hectares of Kenaf variety and 517 hectares of Mesta variety of Jute, the sources added.
Talking to BSS, deputy director of the DAE Bilash Chandra Paul said here that this year many farmers of the district showed their keen interest for cultivating Jute in their farm lands including all of their fellow lands following last year's better market prices of Jute and different Jute growers-friendly programs undertaken by the present government at the directives of the prime minister Sheikh Hasina.
Replying to a question, Paul said that nearly 50,000 bales of Jute are expected to be produced this year in the district if the weather condition will remain favorable till the Jute harvesting period.
- Most viewed
- Maintain your cosmetic jewellery in easy steps
- Honey is your best friend in winters
- Britain' s May seeks to broaden Brexit talks amid deadlock
- Canadian minister calls on Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudury
- Use apricot oil on nails, exfoliate hands weekly in winter
- Man to die for killing wife in Gazipur
- Canada stands by Bangladesh on Rohingya issue
- I'm trying to run country with honesty: PM
- PM rules out major foodgrain shortfall in the country
- Stay alert against defeated forces: PM
- Sunny Leone opens up on casting couch in Bollywood
- Jessia to join grand finale of Miss World, 2017
- Man to die for killing wife in Chittagong
- Sheikh Hasina reaches Suhrawady Udyan
- Germany, Sweden, EU extend strong support to Bangladesh for Rohingyas
- Sonia slams govt's arrogance
- Skincare myths demystified
- Group calls for Indonesian forces to stop virginity tests