Christmas Day today
Published : 25 Dec 2016, 15:04
The Christian community celebrates Christmas Day in Bangladesh today commemorating the birthday of Jesus Christ as elsewhere in the world.
The Christians of different groups will celebrate the festival amid festivity and religious fervor through special prayers and illuminating churches, installing makeshift Christmas trees at homes and places of worship and missions.
Elder people of the community attired in the outfit of Santa Claus make fun with children and distribute gifts as part of a universal Christian practice.
In separate messages, President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina greeted members of the Christian community on the occasion.
Churches have been illuminated, Christmas trees set up and candles lit at homes and churches on the occasion by the Christian community to celebrate the event with due religious fervour.
Santa Clause will distribute, according to the tradition, sweets and gifts to children in churches on the occasion. This is a great 'day of days' for children in the Christian community, who sing carols on the occasion in praise of Jesus Christ and God, and exchange gifts.
The day is a public holiday.
The national dailies will bring out special Christmas supplements marking the day.
Bangladesh Television, Bangladesh Betar and private radio stations and TV channels will also broadcast special Christmas programmes.
Archbishop Patrick D'Rozario, the highest ranking priest of the Roman Catholic Church in the country, was accorded a reception at Archbishop House at the city's Kakrail on December 9 as he has been appointed as cardinal, the first ever to reach such a high position as Bangalee.
Pope Francis on November 19 promoted D'Rozario and 16 other Roman Catholic prelates from around the world to the rank of cardinal.
- Most viewed
- 6 women ‘militants’ held in Panchagarh
- March 27 Deaths
- March 27 Births
- March 27 Events
- UK police still believe London attacker was acting alone
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet
- Families of Sylhet blast victims wail in misery
- Police put on alert across Bangladesh
- PM calls on 'misguided militants' to return to normal life
- Eurovision 2017: Ukraine bars Russian singer Samoilova from contest
- First child marriage under special provision of new law held in Bangladesh
- 'Blessed to work with 'Quantico' actors'
- 'Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first'
- Sleep apnea in kids may affect mental skills
- 'Sex assault' streamed on Facebook Live
- Fire at Bangladesh Bank building
- ECNEC approves mega project for health sector
- 'Bangladesh role model in women's advancement'