PM advises not to eat Hilsha in Pahela Baishakh
Published : 12 Apr 2017, 12:44
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina yesterday urged the countrymen not to eat hilsha in Pahela Bashakh, the first day of Bangla Nababarsho, to help boost production of the country's national fish.
"I would like to call upon all not to catch and eat hilsha in Pahela Baishakh ... instead, you take 'khichuri' (yellow rice), vegetables, fried egg and burnt dry chilli," she said.
The premier made the request while addressing a press conference at her official Ganabhaban residence here this afternoon.
The press conference was convened to brief the media about the outcome of her just-concluded official visit to India. This is the season for mother hilsha to release eggs, and the government has imposed a ban on catching hilsha for 30 days.
The prime minister didn't include hilsha in her Pahela Baishakh menu at Ganabhaban last year.
Over the few years, on an average the production of hilsha increased to 10,000-12,000 tonnes thanks to taking various measures against the catching of jatka and mother fishes, officials said.
The production of hilsha in 2015-16 fiscal year increased to nearly four lakh tonnes, they said.
- Most viewed
- Myanmar dithering on repatriation: Prime Minister
- Bangabandhu Satellite to be launched in Mar 2018: PM
- Election in due time no matter who joins it: PM
- PM's press conference begins
- Pressure on Myanmar must for Rohingya repatriation: Norway
- Saudi women don't need male permission to start businesses
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Housewife commits suicide in Chandpur
- Voting right is the basic right of people: PM
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life
- Woman who got attention by giving birth to 7 kids has died
- Thousands celebrate Pohela Falgun at Charukola
- Court takes charges into cognizance over assaulting woman by policemen
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- At least 17 killed in US school shooting