Today is Christmas
Published : 25 Dec 2017, 13:21
The Christian community of the country will celebrate Christmas on Monday as elsewhere across the world, commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ.
Christmas, the biggest religious festival of the Christian community, is the celebration of rebirth, new beginning, forgiveness and peace, and renewing relationship with God and human beings.
Decoration of Christmas trees with colourful lights, special prayers, and distribution of gifts among children and exchange of pleasantries are the main features of the day’s festivities.
Christmas carols and hymns will be sung before and after the prayer sessions at the churches.
President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina issued separate messages on the eve of the day.
In his message, President Hamid said Bangladesh is a country of communal harmony where people are tied with the bond of love and friendship.
He called upon all to work together to build a happy, prosperous and non-communal Bangladesh.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in her message, said Bangladesh is a country of communal harmony where people of all religions enjoy full freedom of practicing their respective religious rituals.
She hoped that Christmas will further strengthen the relations between the Christians and the people of other communities.
President Abdul Hamid will exchange greetings with members of the Christian community at Bangabhaban on the occasion of Christmas Day.
Archbishop of Bangladesh Patrick D Rozario, ambassadors and representatives from different foreign missions,distinguished persons of the Christian community, religious leaders and professionals will join the reception.
A group of singers will perform the Christmas carol at the reception.
Later, President Abdul Hamid will cut a Christmas cake with members of the Christian community.
Bangladesh Television and Bangladesh Betar and different private TV channels and radio stations will air special programmes highlighting the significance of the day.
- Most viewed
- PM urges journalists to use professional scope for people’s welfare
- Facebook accused of hiding job ads from women
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- 19 September Events
- 19 September Births
- 19 September Deaths
- Newspaper is mirror of society: PM
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit
- 14 September Births
- Dhaka University admission tests begin today
- 6 female activists of Jamaat held in Bogura
- 14 September Events
- 14 September Deaths
- Instagram rolls out new feature to help users with drug issues
- Women should be proud of their beauty: Jhanvi Kapoor
- Halle Berry to make directorial debut with bruised
- Choose natural plants to connect you to your interiors