Today is Christmas
Published : 25 Dec 2017, 13:21
The Christian community of the country will celebrate Christmas on Monday as elsewhere across the world, commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ.
Christmas, the biggest religious festival of the Christian community, is the celebration of rebirth, new beginning, forgiveness and peace, and renewing relationship with God and human beings.
Decoration of Christmas trees with colourful lights, special prayers, and distribution of gifts among children and exchange of pleasantries are the main features of the day’s festivities.
Christmas carols and hymns will be sung before and after the prayer sessions at the churches.
President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina issued separate messages on the eve of the day.
In his message, President Hamid said Bangladesh is a country of communal harmony where people are tied with the bond of love and friendship.
He called upon all to work together to build a happy, prosperous and non-communal Bangladesh.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in her message, said Bangladesh is a country of communal harmony where people of all religions enjoy full freedom of practicing their respective religious rituals.
She hoped that Christmas will further strengthen the relations between the Christians and the people of other communities.
President Abdul Hamid will exchange greetings with members of the Christian community at Bangabhaban on the occasion of Christmas Day.
Archbishop of Bangladesh Patrick D Rozario, ambassadors and representatives from different foreign missions,distinguished persons of the Christian community, religious leaders and professionals will join the reception.
A group of singers will perform the Christmas carol at the reception.
Later, President Abdul Hamid will cut a Christmas cake with members of the Christian community.
Bangladesh Television and Bangladesh Betar and different private TV channels and radio stations will air special programmes highlighting the significance of the day.
- Most viewed
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- 17 March Deaths
- 17 March Births
- At least 50 dead in US Bangla aircraft crash in TIA
- Schoolgirl ‘raped by 2 teenagers’ in Sylhet
- FBHRO starts its journey
- US-Bangla Airlines aircraft crashes in Kathmandu
- US-Bangla aircraft’s passenger list
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Prithula Rashid, a life cut short
- Queen Boudicca: a tribal woman fought against Roman rule
- US-Bangla flight reaches Nepal with families of crash victims