Rajshahi economy based on education, ICT, health sectors: Liton
Published : 09 Apr 2017, 18:30
Rajshahi's economic foundation is being built and enriched based on education, information and communication technology (ICT) and healthcare services, says AHM Khairuzzaman Liton.
He mentioned there are two public universities, two private universities, a public medical college and three private medical colleges besides many other educational institutions including technical and vocational ones here.
Necessary process for establishing a medical university and Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protishthan is under way.
Construction work of a hi-tech park has been started here having scope of generating employment of more than 14,000 youths both male and female, added Liton, former Mayor of Rajshahi City Corporation, while talking to BSS here yesterday.
In true sense, the park would create a congenial atmosphere for the improvement of ICT, engineering, electronics, telecommunication and biotechnology.
The hi-tech park is being established on 31 acres of land at Bulanpur under Rajpara Police Station in the city at a cost of Tk 238 crore.
The present government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is very much interested to implement the project for socio-economic development of the region.
As per the government decision, the park has provisions for attracting foreign companies to set up operations in the country alongside developing indigenous technological capability for the development of the local industries.
He says there is no alternative to promotion of modern technologies in the industrial and agricultural sectors for making those more value added.
Necessary administrative support services will be extended to the potential entrepreneurs interested in investing at the hi-tech park that will ensure electricity, water, sewerage, gas, telephone, internet and other utility services.
People of the city and its adjacent areas will get privileges of using modern technology in different productive fields including agriculture upon successful completion of the initiation works on the vast tract of land.
Besides, new more avenues of employment especially for the ICT people will be created in this venture.
The government is implementing the scheme to create opportunities for earning foreign currency through online outsourcing. "Freelancing is an extremely prospective sector worldwide and now it is getting popularity in our country," he added.
Md Muniruzzaman, president of Rajshahi Chamber of Commerce and Industry,said: "We want to see an immediate implementation of the project".
In addition to the education, ICT and health sectors, there are enormous scopes of investing in agro-based industries as the region produce huge mango, potato and tomato every year, added the chamber leader.
- Most viewed
- Road crash kills 16 garments workers in Rangpur
- 24 June Deaths
- 24 June Births
- 24 June Events
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists