'Bangladesh ahead of South Asian countries in female education'
Published : 16 Apr 2017, 17:34
Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid 15 April said Bangladesh is ahead of other South Asian countries in the advancement of female education.
"Enrolment of girl students has increased at both primary and secondary levels of education because of affirmative policy actions taken by the present government," he told the fourth convocation of United International University (UIU) at Satarkul in the city.
Chairman of University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh Prof Abdul Mannan, among others, addressed the convocation with Vice Chancellor of the university Prof Dr M Rezwan Khan in the chair, an official release said.
Vice Chancellor of University of Asia Pacific Prof Dr Jamilur Reza Chowdhury addressed the function as the convocation speaker.
Nahid said, "Girl student enrolment at primary level is 51 percent while boy student enrolment is 49. Female student enrolment has outnumbered with 53 percent compared their male counterparts."
"We will achieve gender parity at higher secondary level within the next three years and at higher education within the next six years," he added.
The minister urged both public and private universities to introduce courses, which will impart new knowledge.
"Our higher education system should be life-oriented to produce problem-solving knowledge... It is urgent to develop skilled workforce through providing quality education," he added.
- Most viewed
- JS speaker returns home from Australia
- Free Online Course Beginner’s Guide to Writing in English for University Study
- Global Youth Leaders Travel and Learning Camp 2017 in Singapore
- Fully Funded Master of Computer Science at Jinan University, China
- Master and PhD scholarship program in Science, Japan
- Chicken Irani
- How breathing exercises can help prevent high blood pressure
- Cultural personality Kazi Arif ‘clinically dead’
- Prehistoric human DNA found in caves without bones
- Cabinet Secy: PayPal to start soon
- David Cameron meets Sheikh Hasina
- 27 April Births
- 27 April Deaths
- PM opens Digital Island Moheshkhali
- No change in UK-Bangladesh ties for Brexit: Cameron
- PM asks all to promote Chittagong Port's goodwill
- Bappa Mazumder sings duet with Sona Mohapatra
- Make Your Own Mango Bubble Tea