'Bangladesh ahead of South Asian countries in female education'
Published : 16 Apr 2017, 17:34
Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid 15 April said Bangladesh is ahead of other South Asian countries in the advancement of female education.
"Enrolment of girl students has increased at both primary and secondary levels of education because of affirmative policy actions taken by the present government," he told the fourth convocation of United International University (UIU) at Satarkul in the city.
Chairman of University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh Prof Abdul Mannan, among others, addressed the convocation with Vice Chancellor of the university Prof Dr M Rezwan Khan in the chair, an official release said.
Vice Chancellor of University of Asia Pacific Prof Dr Jamilur Reza Chowdhury addressed the function as the convocation speaker.
Nahid said, "Girl student enrolment at primary level is 51 percent while boy student enrolment is 49. Female student enrolment has outnumbered with 53 percent compared their male counterparts."
"We will achieve gender parity at higher secondary level within the next three years and at higher education within the next six years," he added.
The minister urged both public and private universities to introduce courses, which will impart new knowledge.
"Our higher education system should be life-oriented to produce problem-solving knowledge... It is urgent to develop skilled workforce through providing quality education," he added.
- Most viewed
- Are smoothies good for your diet? Here’s what experts have to say
- Ending the option of carrying a child is about taking control of the body
- Facebook, Twitter not affecting face-to-face contact with friends
- Tinder’s new feature to give more power to women
- Why you can’t get enough of your favourite songs
- How asthma may affect your chances of pregnancy
- Recipe: Shahi Paneer, simply delicious
- Sara Ali Khan to make Bollywood debut with Ranveer Singh?
- ‘Descendants 3’ to be out in 2019
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Invest in girls, women: UN chief
- Prime Minister to meet Pope today
- Man to die for killing wife in Netrakona
- Adore the feel of feminism with payals
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- ‘Saudi women should not have to wear abaya robes’
- 11 February Births
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life