Singer Christina Grimmie's killer 'came to confront her'
Published : 12 Jun 2016, 03:34
The man suspected of killing US singer Christina Grimmie apparently came from another city to confront her, police in Florida say.
They said the gunman "travelled to Orlando to commit this crime" but did not appear to know her personally.
Later police named the gunman as 26-year-old Kevin James Loibl from the city of St Petersburg, Florida.
Ms Grimmie, 22, was shot while signing autographs after a concert in the city on Friday night, and died in hospital.
In 2014, she was a contestant on US TV programme The Voice.
Police say Ms Grimmie was shot about 22:45 local time on Friday (02:45 GMT Saturday) at The Plaza Live in Orlando.
Orlando police chief John Mina said the gunman, who shot himself dead during a struggle with the singer's brother, had two handguns and a hunting knife.
"She was doing a meet-and-greet, just signing autographs and selling merchandise," he said.
"This white male approached her and opened fire, striking her."
The police chief praised Ms Grimmie's brother Marcus.
"Very heroic actions by Marcus Grimmie to jump in and it definitely could have prevented further loss of life," he said.
The singer had been performing with the band Before You Exit.
Up to 100 people were at the concert, but only a handful remained at the venue when the shooting happened, officials said.
Mr Mina said unarmed security guards checked bags as people entered the venue but no metal detectors were used and no body searches were made.
News of the attack spread quickly on social media, with many fans voicing their shock and anger.
When the first reports of the shooting surfaced, #PrayForChristina was the top trending hashtag on Twitter.
It changed to #RIPChristina after the death was confirmed.
Ms Grimmie first came to prominence as a teenager for her renditions of hit songs, amassing a huge following on YouTube.
In 2011, she released her debut musical recording Find Me. Her second EP - Side A - followed in February 2016.
- Most viewed
- Female teacher engaged in sex with student in plane toilet
- What essential qualities make for a happy, long-term relationship? We find out
- 8 reasons why momos are dangerous for you
- Woman crushed under train in Chapainawabganj
- ‘Make child marriage socially unacceptable’
- 28 July Deaths
- 28 July Births
- 28 July Events
- 'Lipstick Under My Burkha' success a win for cinema: Ekta Kapoor
- 22 July Deaths
- Vidya Balan, Rahul Bose tie up for a cause!
- Minneapolis police chief resigns after Australian woman's shooting
- Sunny Leone is the new mom in B-town!
- 22 July Births
- People to bring AL back to power: PM
- Man, daughter-in-law sentenced to life term in Laxmipur rape case
- Angelina Jolie admits to ‘hardest time’ after separation
- Microcredit programmes turn many women self-employed