Mallika Sherawat attacked in Paris
Published : 18 Nov 2016, 11:47
Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat was punched in the face and sprayed with tear gas by masked attackers in an upmarket area of Paris, police said Thursday.
The 40-year-old star and her partner were attacked by three masked men who tried to steal her handbag.
The couple told police the men had ambushed them in the lobby of the apartment building where they were staying in the chic 16th arrondissement of the French capital on November 11.
The incident comes just weeks after US reality TV star Kim Kardashian was attacked in Paris in a robbery in which a masked gang stole jewellery worth more than $10 million (9.3 million euros).
However, investigators said they were mystified that although the attackers had tried to take Sherawat’s handbag, they had fled empty-handed.
“We cannot understand why the attackers fled without taking anything,” a source in the investigation told AFP.
Sherawat, whose real name is Reema Lambha, came to prominence from 2004 thanks to a raunchy film that helped bust taboos around sex in the conservative Indian film industry.
She is well-known for her role in the film “Murder” and also starred in Jackie Chan’s “The Myth” in 2005.
She is also a women’s rights activist and caused controversy with comments about how Indian society is “regressive and depressive” because of how it treats women.
- Most viewed
- 13 people killed in suicide truck bomb in south of Iraq's Baghdad
- Over 100 die in Malaysian immigration camps in 2 years
- Shanghai streets rule by catwalks of stylish dogs
- Police drive at Nasirpur ‘militant den’ resumes
- ‘No turning back’ as Brexit triggered
- Summer skin care tips you must follow this season
- 5 fashion trends you need this summer
- Melania Trump Makes Case For Women's 'Empowerment'
- Comilla city polls begin
- First child marriage under special provision of new law held in Bangladesh
- 'Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first'
- Fire at Bangladesh Bank building
- Ex-husband of Arifa caught in Tangail
- Police name London attacker as British-born Khalid Masood
- Hawaii lawmaker resigns from Republican Party
- IS claims responsibility for Sylhet blasts
- Schoolgirls deployed to collect toll for event
- Bangladesh female hockey champs epitomize Special Olympics ideal