'I'm a bad feminist' (Video)
Published : 16 Dec 2016, 02:13
Madonna gave a heartrending, emotional speech at Billboard Women in Music 2016 that touched on feminism, sexism and much more.
"I stand before you as a doormat. Oh, I mean, as a female entertainer," she said.
"Thank you for acknowledging my ability to continue my career for 34 years in the face of blatant sexism and misogyny and constant bullying and relentless abuse."
She remarked that male artists had more freedom than females. "'Wait a minute, isn't Prince running around with fishnets and high heels and lipstick with his butt hanging out?' Yes, he was. But he was a man.”
Madonna also remembered being criticized for setting feminism back. "So I thought, 'oh, if you're a feminist, you don't have sexuality, you deny it.' So I said 'f--k it. I'm a different kind of feminist. I'm a bad feminist.'"
"I think the most controversial thing I have ever done is to stick around," she explained. "Michael is gone. Tupac is gone. Prince is gone. Whitney is gone. Amy Winehouse is gone. David Bowie is gone. But I'm still standing. I'm one of the lucky ones and every day I count my blessings."
- Most viewed
- 20 March Deaths
- 20 March Births
- 20 March Events
- New diabetes drug may help obese to reduce weight
- Daryl Hannah debuts as director
- Bodies of 23 plane crash victims arrive in Dhaka
- Cabinet adopts obituary reference for Priyabhashini, plane crash victims
- Housewife found dead in Rajshahi
- Husband kills 16-year-old wife in City
- FBHRO starts its journey
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Schoolgirl stabbed in Chapainawabganj
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe