Bollywood actress Reema Lagoo dies
Published : 18 May 2017, 12:45
Actress Reema Lagoo died of a cardiac arrest in Mumbai at 3:30am this morning. She was 59. Lagoo had been taken to the Kokilaben Hospital.
Her last rites will be held later today.
Reema Lagoo was a veteran of the Marathi stage and appeared in several high profile Bollywood films, working with top stars like Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar. Reema Lagoo is survived by her daughter Mrunmayee, also an actress.
Early messages of condolence have been tweeted by politician Vasundhara Raje and filmmaker Kunal Kohli.
Rishi Kapoor, Reema Lagoo's co-star of films such as Prem Granth, Henna, also tweeted about the late actress.
Reema Lagoo was born Nayan Khadbade in 1958. She was the daughter of a well-known Marathi actress and began acting herself after finishing school in Pune. She took the name Reema Lagoo after her marriage - she and her husband later separated but Ms Lagoo retained the name.
Reema Lagoo's best-known roles were as mother to the stars - she played Salman's mother in Maine Pyar Kiya, Saajan and Hum Saath Saath Hain, Akshay's mother in Jai Kishen, Kajol's in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, and Madhuri Dixit's in Hum Aapke Hain Koun. She played Sanjay Dutt's mother in Vaastav, in which her character kills her gangster son.
Reema Lagoo was also known for starring in the TV serials Tu Tu Main Main and Shriman Shrimati. Her last screen appearance was in the Marathi film Katyar Kaljat Ghusali. She featured as Dayavanti Mehta in Mahesh Bhatt's television show Naamkaran.
Reema Lagoo has won four Filmfare Awards for Best Supporting Actress.
- Most viewed
- Have mushroom-rich breakfast to maintain healthy weight
- Fashion industry not real life: Claudia Schiffer
- Yuriko Koike who may become Japan's first woman PM
- Sushma Swaraj in city
- Full verdict commuting Oishee's death released
- Three young men beat elderly woman to death
- Hasina to Guterres: ‘Put more pressure on Myanmar’
- Sushma Swaraj arrives today
- 22 October Deaths
- 18 October Events
- 18 October Births
- Hillary slams Trump’s ‘dangerous’ war of words with North Korea
- 18 October Deaths
- Now Suu Kyi’s name removed from Oxford college common room
- Hair loss drug taken by Trump may cut prostate cancer risk
- Magura schoolgirl commits suicide
- Raped then beaten up for protesting
- Momen urges UNSC to solve Rohingya, Palestine crises