Bollywood actress Reema Lagoo dies
Published : 18 May 2017, 12:45
Actress Reema Lagoo died of a cardiac arrest in Mumbai at 3:30am this morning. She was 59. Lagoo had been taken to the Kokilaben Hospital.
Her last rites will be held later today.
Reema Lagoo was a veteran of the Marathi stage and appeared in several high profile Bollywood films, working with top stars like Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar. Reema Lagoo is survived by her daughter Mrunmayee, also an actress.
Early messages of condolence have been tweeted by politician Vasundhara Raje and filmmaker Kunal Kohli.
Rishi Kapoor, Reema Lagoo's co-star of films such as Prem Granth, Henna, also tweeted about the late actress.
Reema Lagoo was born Nayan Khadbade in 1958. She was the daughter of a well-known Marathi actress and began acting herself after finishing school in Pune. She took the name Reema Lagoo after her marriage - she and her husband later separated but Ms Lagoo retained the name.
Reema Lagoo's best-known roles were as mother to the stars - she played Salman's mother in Maine Pyar Kiya, Saajan and Hum Saath Saath Hain, Akshay's mother in Jai Kishen, Kajol's in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, and Madhuri Dixit's in Hum Aapke Hain Koun. She played Sanjay Dutt's mother in Vaastav, in which her character kills her gangster son.
Reema Lagoo was also known for starring in the TV serials Tu Tu Main Main and Shriman Shrimati. Her last screen appearance was in the Marathi film Katyar Kaljat Ghusali. She featured as Dayavanti Mehta in Mahesh Bhatt's television show Naamkaran.
Reema Lagoo has won four Filmfare Awards for Best Supporting Actress.
- Most viewed
- Eat right and stay youthful
- Feeling bad without your phone?
- Papaya: Top five health and beauty benefits
- Modelling groomed me for acting: Kriti Sanon
- The mystical scent of a woman
- Beware of processed food!
- Narayanganj 7-murder cases: High Court upholds death penalty for 15
- Indian court rules against instant divorce
- Weekend delight: Unwind with Minty Mushroom Croquettes
- Priyanka Chopra told ‘not to return India’
- Case filed over Pallabi student rape
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- Teacher arrested for ‘raping Pallabi schoolgirl’
- Prospect of progress must not be ruined: PM
- Primary school teacher ‘gang raped’ in classroom
- South Asia flood death toll climbs to 250
- 2 schoolgirls 'gang-raped'
- Anti-Muslim Australian senator wears burqa in Parliament