Sridevi turns 54
Published : 13 Aug 2017, 17:18
Even at 54, Sridevi never fails to mesmerise fans and critics with her acting prowess. The actor, who made a comeback of sorts in the 2012 film English Vinglish, recently garnered appreciation for her film Mom.
Sridevi is one of the first female actors crowned with the superstar tag. And looking at her body of work, she totally deserved it. Starting her journey in filmdom at the age of four in Thunaivan (1969), Sridevi went on to become the most sought- after artist in the film industry and she remains one of those few actors, who achieved fame both in Bollywood and regional cinema.
Interestingly, Sridevi was the highest paid actor of her time. But not many would know that she actually spells her name as Sreedevi or that she declined Steven Spielberg’s offer to work in Jurassic Park (1993)? Well, on the occasion of her birthday we list a few such trivia about the actor:
1. Sridevi was born in the year 1963 to Ayyapan Yanger and Rajeswari Yanger, and was named Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan. Her father was a lawyer.
2. The actor started her career at the tender age of four in Thirumugham’s devotional film, Thunaivan (1969). She was a child artiste in the film, Julie (1975). With Solva Saavan, Sridevi made her foray into Bollywood as the lead actor in 1979.
3. Not many know that she was down with fever and had 103 degrees temperature, when she was shooting for the popular song Na Jaane Kaha Se Aayi Hai in Chalbaaz (1989).
4. Sridevi did playback singing for films such Sadma (1983), Chandni (1989), Garajna (1991) and Kshana Kshanam (1991).
5. For the 1992 film Beta, filmmaker Indra Kumar wanted Sridevi to portray the role of Saraswati [which was played by Madhuri Dixit] opposite Raju [portrayed by Anil Kapoor]. But the actor didn’t do the film because by then, she had already acted in quite a few films with Anil Kapoor.
6. Interestingly, Sridevi was considered to play a brief role in Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park (1993). However, she declined the offer as was busy with Bollywood projects.
7. Sridevi’s mother tongue is Tamil; so she faced difficulty in speaking Hindi, when she joined Bollywood. Yesteryear actor Naaz used to dub for her. In Aakhiri Raasta (1986), Rekha dubbed for her. The first time Sridevi dubbed for her role was in Chandni (1989).
8. Jaya Prada was considered Sridevi’s strongest competitor and the two actors didn’t share a cordial relationship. During the shoot of Maqsad (1984), Rajesh Khanna and Jeetendra decided to break the ice between them and locked them up in a room hoping that they would make peace. But when they opened the door, both Sridevi and Jaya were sitting silently in the two corners of the room.
- Most viewed
- Foods to gear up your metabolism
- Katy Perry in 'tough conversations' with her record label
- Priyanka Chopra lets go of her diet on her vacation!
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- 17 January Deaths
- 17 January Births
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Mouth-related problems and their home remedies
- Here’s what’ll tickle your palette in 2018
- Angelina Jolie dating Cambodian rapper-filmmaker
- Brooke Shields to launch apparel, accessories line
- 'Govt will move ahead evaluating past'
- Try some homemade hair masks for coloured hair
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46