Sridevi turns 54
Published : 13 Aug 2017, 17:18
Even at 54, Sridevi never fails to mesmerise fans and critics with her acting prowess. The actor, who made a comeback of sorts in the 2012 film English Vinglish, recently garnered appreciation for her film Mom.
Sridevi is one of the first female actors crowned with the superstar tag. And looking at her body of work, she totally deserved it. Starting her journey in filmdom at the age of four in Thunaivan (1969), Sridevi went on to become the most sought- after artist in the film industry and she remains one of those few actors, who achieved fame both in Bollywood and regional cinema.
Interestingly, Sridevi was the highest paid actor of her time. But not many would know that she actually spells her name as Sreedevi or that she declined Steven Spielberg’s offer to work in Jurassic Park (1993)? Well, on the occasion of her birthday we list a few such trivia about the actor:
1. Sridevi was born in the year 1963 to Ayyapan Yanger and Rajeswari Yanger, and was named Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan. Her father was a lawyer.
2. The actor started her career at the tender age of four in Thirumugham’s devotional film, Thunaivan (1969). She was a child artiste in the film, Julie (1975). With Solva Saavan, Sridevi made her foray into Bollywood as the lead actor in 1979.
3. Not many know that she was down with fever and had 103 degrees temperature, when she was shooting for the popular song Na Jaane Kaha Se Aayi Hai in Chalbaaz (1989).
4. Sridevi did playback singing for films such Sadma (1983), Chandni (1989), Garajna (1991) and Kshana Kshanam (1991).
5. For the 1992 film Beta, filmmaker Indra Kumar wanted Sridevi to portray the role of Saraswati [which was played by Madhuri Dixit] opposite Raju [portrayed by Anil Kapoor]. But the actor didn’t do the film because by then, she had already acted in quite a few films with Anil Kapoor.
6. Interestingly, Sridevi was considered to play a brief role in Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park (1993). However, she declined the offer as was busy with Bollywood projects.
7. Sridevi’s mother tongue is Tamil; so she faced difficulty in speaking Hindi, when she joined Bollywood. Yesteryear actor Naaz used to dub for her. In Aakhiri Raasta (1986), Rekha dubbed for her. The first time Sridevi dubbed for her role was in Chandni (1989).
8. Jaya Prada was considered Sridevi’s strongest competitor and the two actors didn’t share a cordial relationship. During the shoot of Maqsad (1984), Rajesh Khanna and Jeetendra decided to break the ice between them and locked them up in a room hoping that they would make peace. But when they opened the door, both Sridevi and Jaya were sitting silently in the two corners of the room.
- Most viewed
- 'Hotel Transylvania' books spot at top of box office
- Khaleda denied bail in Narail defamation case
- Russian woman charged with spying in US
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- PM Sheikh Hasina opens G2P system for freedom fighters
- Theresa May accepts key amendments from hardline Brexiteers
- 592 rape incidents in six months
- 17 July Events
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums