Friend’s kidney helps Selena Gomez fight lupus
Published : 15 Sep 2017, 12:09
Singer Selena Gomez, 25, has revealed that she has undergone a kidney transplant.
Gomez suffers from Lupus and the side effects of the auto-immune disease damaged her organs so much that she was told by doctors that she required a transplant, reports tmz.com.
She found a donor in her “beautiful friend” Francia Raisa.
Gomez took to Instagram to share the news with her fans.
Alongside a photograph of her and Raisa holding hands while on hospital beds, Gomez wrote: “I’m very aware some of my fans had noticed I was laying low for part of the summer and questioning why I wasn’t promoting my new music, which I was extremely proud of. So, I found out I needed to get a kidney transplant due to my Lupus and was recovering.
“It was what I needed to do for my overall health. I honestly look forward to sharing with you, soon my journey through these past several months as I have always wanted to do with you.”
Gomez later thanked her family and “incredible team of doctors for everything they have done” for her.
“And finally, there aren’t words to describe how I can possibly thank my beautiful friend Francia Raisa. She gave me the ultimate gift and sacrifice by donating her kidney to me. I am incredibly blessed. I love you so much sis. Lupus continues to be very misunderstood but progress is being made,” she wrote.
- Most viewed
- 'I was raped at 16 and I kept silent'
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-PM arrives for questions in 1MDB case
- PM invited to WEF annual meeting
- Judi Dench honoured at Spain film festival
- PM urges int’l community to ensure easy transfer of technology
- Prime Minister for upholding dignity of UN peacekeeping
- 26 September Births
- 26 September Events
- 26 September Deaths
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM to receive 2 awards for her leadership over Rohingya issue
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- Female RMG worker loses leg in Savar road crash