Feminism not about berating men: Priyanka Chopra
Published : 11 Oct 2017, 17:37
Actress Priyanka Chopra feels proud to call herself a feminist and says people should not think the term means ‘berating or hating men’.
‘Feminism is not about berating or hating men or disliking or trying to make sure we’re better than men,’ Priyanka told variety.com.
‘Feminism is just saying give me opportunities without judging me for the decisions that I make, the same freedom that men have enjoyed for so many centuries. Feminism needs men,’ added the ‘Quantico’ star.
Priyanka feels frustrated with those who reject the label.
‘I see so many girlfriends of mine who are like, ‘No I’m not that much of a feminist.’ I don’t even understand that. The need for feminism was created because there were no rights for women. That’s why there is not a man-ism because they always had it,’ she said.
Priyanka said she was raised to be an open-minded person by her parents.
‘I was raised to be fearless when it came to opinions. My dad always used to tell me, ‘Women are always told to say this is the right way to be or this is the right way to dress or this is the right way to speak,’’ she recalls.
‘But my parents always said, ‘We believe in our upbringing. You’ll be fine’,’ she said.
- Most viewed
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- 14 August Deaths
- Man gets 14 yrs jail for torturing wife over dowry
- Dhaka-Delhi relationship now at its best, says PM Hasina
- Bangabandhu struggled to establish Bangalee nation’s right: Speaker
- Kareena and Ranveer collaboration finally happening!
- Madonna still shocks with barrier-breaking lifestyle
- Google tracks your movements, like it or not
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women