Classical music queen Girija Devi dies
Published : 25 Oct 2017, 14:24
Eminent classical singer and Padma Vibhushan awardee Girija Devi passed away at a hospital in Kolkata on Tuesday following a cardiac arrest, hospital sources said.
She was 88 and survived by a daughter.
Considered as the queen of Thumri and fondly called Appa ji, Girija Devi was taken to the city’s BM Birla Heart Research Centre this afternoon with cardiovascular ailments, She was put on life support, her family sources said.
“Girija Devi’s condition was quite critical when she was brought to the hospital. She was admitted to the CCU and was under constant watch. But she passed away at around 8.45 pm,” hospital spokesperson told PTI.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled her death, saying the singer’s music appealed across generations and her pioneering efforts to popularise Indian classical music would always be remembered.
“Saddened by demise of Girija Devi ji. Indian classical music has lost one of its most melodious voices. My thoughts are with her admirers,” he tweeted.
A legendary singer of the “Benaras gharana” had received Padma Shri in 1972, Padma Bhushan in 1989 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
Born in a zamindar family at a village near Banaras on May 8, 1929, music was a part of Girija Devi’s life from a very early age.
- Most viewed
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- 17 January Deaths
- 17 January Births
- 17 January Events
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- You may be getting the portion sizes wrong
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Angelina Jolie dating Cambodian rapper-filmmaker
- Here’s what’ll tickle your palette in 2018
- Brooke Shields to launch apparel, accessories line
- 'Govt will move ahead evaluating past'
- Try some homemade hair masks for coloured hair
- Mouth-related problems and their home remedies
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46