Classical music queen Girija Devi dies
Published : 25 Oct 2017, 14:24
Eminent classical singer and Padma Vibhushan awardee Girija Devi passed away at a hospital in Kolkata on Tuesday following a cardiac arrest, hospital sources said.
She was 88 and survived by a daughter.
Considered as the queen of Thumri and fondly called Appa ji, Girija Devi was taken to the city’s BM Birla Heart Research Centre this afternoon with cardiovascular ailments, She was put on life support, her family sources said.
“Girija Devi’s condition was quite critical when she was brought to the hospital. She was admitted to the CCU and was under constant watch. But she passed away at around 8.45 pm,” hospital spokesperson told PTI.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled her death, saying the singer’s music appealed across generations and her pioneering efforts to popularise Indian classical music would always be remembered.
“Saddened by demise of Girija Devi ji. Indian classical music has lost one of its most melodious voices. My thoughts are with her admirers,” he tweeted.
A legendary singer of the “Benaras gharana” had received Padma Shri in 1972, Padma Bhushan in 1989 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
Born in a zamindar family at a village near Banaras on May 8, 1929, music was a part of Girija Devi’s life from a very early age.
- Most viewed
- Bangladesh's graduation to developing country a slap to critics: PM
- 16-year-old Mitu first Bangladeshi girl to cross Bangla Channel
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 20 March Deaths
- 20 March Births
- 20 March Events
- New diabetes drug may help obese to reduce weight
- Daryl Hannah debuts as director
- Bodies of 23 plane crash victims arrive in Dhaka
- FBHRO starts its journey
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Schoolgirl stabbed in Chapainawabganj
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe