South Africa's Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters wins Miss Universe
Published : 27 Nov 2017, 11:09
Beauties from across the globe converged in Las Vegas Sunday, where Miss South Africa was crowned Miss Universe.
Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, 22, edged out her rivals from Colombia and Jamaica to take the crown.
Nel-Peters, a graduate in business management, said her disabled half-sister has been among her great inspirations.
Colombia was represented by actress Laura Gonzalez and Davina Bennett of Jamaica -- who works with deaf students and is working on a new sign language app.
In the pageant's 66th year, nearly 100 women from around the globe including first-timers from Cambodia, Laos and Nepal took part.
The current Miss Universe, Iris Mittenaere from France, crowned her successor to a din of squeals and cheers.
American comic turned TV host Steve Harvey returned to the Miss Universe stage for a third time. In 2015 he made a mistake heard round the world when he announced the wrong person as winner, resulting in an extremely uncomfortable, tense correction.
Grammy-winning singer Fergie and pop star Rachel Platten provided the musical entertainment for Sunday's show.
- Most viewed
- Vegetable egg ‘bhurji’
- More pregnant women are having heart attacks
- Be a host to provide Non-Alcoholic summer drinks
- Girl gang raped in Narayanganj
- Work for people, Prime Minister to officials
- HC orders Cumilla court to dispose of Khaleda’s bail plea by July 26
- Shooter dead after killing one woman and injuring 13 others in Canada
- 9 people shot in Canada, shooter dead: police
- 23 July Events
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- Russian woman charged with spying in US
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- Quota movement is discreet campaign against FFs children
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- PM Sheikh Hasina opens G2P system for freedom fighters