CBFC violated rules for Veere Di Wedding?
Published : 07 Jun 2018, 16:57
The use of expletives by the film's leads notwithstanding, Kareena Kapoor Khan- and Sonam K Ahuja-starrer Veere Di Wedding had a smooth sailing at the Censor Board.
The CBFC passed the June 1 release with an 'A' certificate and some alterations. However, it has now come to light that in a unique move of sorts, the Prasoon Joshi-led board recommended alternatives for the cuss words that were mouthed by the leads.
While regulations suggest that the Censor Board ask that words they deem questionable be beeped out or replaced, this is apparently the first time with Veere Di Wedding that the body has suggested the replacements in writing. mid-day is in possession of a copy of the modifications recommended by the Censor Board. As per the copy, some of the replacements include bi**h to witch, ch***ya to bewakoof and a***ole to jacka**.
Questions a producer, on condition of anonymity, "Since when have CBFC members started suggesting alternatives? They only ask the producer to delete, beep or replace certain words. In this case, every substitute has been selected specifically so that the film is passed without major changes in the dialogues. For instance, behen***d has been made pen***d. That way, it sounds similar. While the members sometimes suggest alternatives verbally, this time around, it was put in writing."
When mid-day reached out to Anurag Srivastava, CEO, CBFC, he denied having any knowledge of the alterations. He said, "This is a baseless allegation." Despite repeated attempts, CBFC chairman Prasoon Joshi, and producers Ekta Kapoor and Rhea Kapoor remained unavailable for comment.
- Most viewed
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- AL Anniversary: PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 23 June Births
- 23 June Deaths
- 23 June Events
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM