Praise the lord! 'The Nun' tops US box office with US$53.5mil
Published : 10 Sep 2018, 16:22
Horror movie “The Nun” was the top draw in North American movie theatres this weekend, extending a remarkable string of recent successes by Warner Bros, industry watchers said.
“The Nun,” the latest scary feature in the popular “Conjuring” series, took in an estimated $53.5 million for the three-day weekend, box office tracker Exhibitor Relations said. British director Corin Hardy had made his name with 2015 horror film “The Hallow.”
“Nun” stars Demian Bichir, Taissa Farmiga and Jonas Bloquet in a story about a young nun, an exorcist and a guide stumbling onto a dark secret deep in Dracula country: the Romania of 1952 -- Transylvania, no less.
“Nun” bumped another Warner product, “Crazy Rich Asians,” to second place after three strong weekends at the top. The glitzy rom-com, with its nearly all-Asian cast led by Henry Golding and Constance Wu, took in $13.6 million.
Taken together with another Warner film, “The Meg,” the studio has now claimed the top two spots on the North American box office for four consecutive weekends, a feat no movie studio had accomplished in 25 years, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
“The Meg,” starring Jason Statham as a rescue diver confronting a huge, prehistoric shark, placed fourth this weekend, taking in $6 million, behind new vigilante action film “Peppermint,” which grossed $13.3 million.
“Peppermint,” from STX Films, stars Jennifer Garner as a mother seeking revenge against the drug cartel she blames for killing her husband and daughter.
And in fifth spot was Sony thriller “Searching,” starring John Cho as a man desperate to find his missing teenage daughter. It took in $4.5 million.
- Most viewed
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Hasina, Modi inaugurate Bangladesh-India oil pipeline
- Emmys full of surprises, 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' dominates
- 18 September Events
- 18 September Births
- 18 September Deaths
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- 14 September Births
- Country is marching forward: Sheikh Hasina
- Dhaka University admission tests begin today
- 6 female activists of Jamaat held in Bogura
- 14 September Deaths
- 14 September Events
- Instagram rolls out new feature to help users with drug issues
- Women should be proud of their beauty: Jhanvi Kapoor
- Halle Berry to make directorial debut with bruised