Cyclone 'Maarutha' moves northeastwards in Bay
Published : 16 Apr 2017, 17:32
The cyclonic storm "Maarutha" over east-central bay and adjoining area moved northeastwards further and lies over the same area, a Met Office weather bulletin said here today.
The cyclone was centered at 12 noon today about 590 kms south of Chittagong port, 505 kms south of Cox's Bazar port, 705 kms south-southeast of Mongla port and 620 kms south-southeast of Payra port. It is likely to move in a north-northeasterly direction and may cross Myanmar coast near Sandoway by midnight tonight.
Maximum sustained wind speed within 54 kms of the cyclonic storm centre is about 62 kph rising to 88 kph in gusts or squalls, the weather bulletin said adding sea will remain very rough.
Maritime ports of Chittagong, Cox's Bazar, Mongla and Payra have been advised to keep hoisted distant warning signal number two (rpt) two. All fishing boats and trawlers over North Bay and deep sea have been advised to remain close to the coast and proceed with caution till further notice so that they can take shelter immediately.
- Most viewed
- Katrina most popular actress outside India
- Zeenat Aman files rape case against a businessman
- High meat intake may up liver disease risk
- World Meteorological Day observed
- Player accuses Australia's AFL of sexism
- EU recalls Moscow envoy after blaming Russia over spy attack
- Pakistani woman lawmaker becomes opposition leader in Senate
- Playboy model apologises to Melania, says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- PM enjoys cultural show at Bangabandhu Stadium
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- 17 March Deaths
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!