Cyclone Mora: Bad weather to linger today
Published : 30 May 2017, 15:05
- At least 12 more hours of bad weather
- Mora to move north and reduce to a depression
- Highest wind speed in Teknaf at 135 kmph
Cyclone Mora that made landfall in Bangladesh this morning plunging the coastal areas in gusty winds and heavy rain is likely to linger for at least 12 more hours, the Met office says.
The “severe cyclonic storm”, that prompted the highest alert in the coastal regions, was still not proving as devastating as feared. Five people said to have died so far. No mass destruction was reported.
“Bad weather under the cyclone’s influence will persist for at least 12 hours,” Shamsuddin Ahmed, director for Bangladesh Meteorological Department, said in a televised brief around 11:30am.
“Then, the weather is likely to improve gradually,” he said.
Under Mora’s influence, Chittagong, the last known position of the cyclone’s eye at 11:30am, saw the highest wind speed of 128 kmph. It is likely to advance further north and reduce to a depression.
The cyclone made landfall near Kutubdia around 6:00am with heavy winds of 114 kmph at St Martin’s Island, 85 kmph at Cox’s Bazar, and 135 kmph in Teknaf.
Latest weather forecast said, the cyclone would influence rain accompanied by temporary gusty winds at most places of Mymensingh, Dhaka, Khulna, Barisal, Chittagong and Sylhet divisions and at many places over Rangpur & Rajshahi divisions.
- Most viewed
- PM rules out major foodgrain shortfall in the country
- Tonu’s family called to Dhaka for probe: Kamal
- Sharapova in fraud probe
- Group calls for Indonesian forces to stop virginity tests
- Skincare myths demystified
- Sleeping on back can up stillbirth risk
- Suu Kyi hopes to strike deal with Bangladesh this week on Rohingya repatriation
- Germany’s Merkel ‘prefers new vote’ after coalition talks fail
- Sonia slams govt's arrogance
- Sessions vows Clinton probe on emails
- Stay alert against defeated forces: PM
- Sunny Leone opens up on casting couch in Bollywood
- Jessia to join grand finale of Miss World, 2017
- PM witnesses Dhaka Opera House design
- This is when women are most likely to cheat on their partner
- Jolie condemns sexual violence against Rohingyas
- Germany, Sweden, EU extend strong support to Bangladesh for Rohingyas
- Man to die for killing wife in Chittagong