Six dead as Cyclone Mora lashes coastal districts
Published : 30 May 2017, 17:46
At least six people died in three districts after Cyclone Mora hit the Bangladesh coast early Tuesday.
A man and a woman died, hit by falling trees as the cyclone cut its path through the tourist district of Cox's Bazar, police said.
A child died in Bhola, one of the most vulnerable districts in the south. In Rangamati town, trees uprooted by the cyclone fell on a woman and a child, leaving both dead, Police Inspector Mohammad Rashid said.
Separately, in the district town of Cox's Bazar, an elderly woman died from cardiac arrest at a cyclone shelter.
Acting Mayor of Cox's Bazar Municipality Mahbubur Rahman Chowdhury said the woman, a resident of Nuniarchhara, was physically weak when she was taken to the shelter.
"She panicked at night when the strong winds started," he said quoting family members.
The powerful storm, which prompted authorities to raise the highest level of alert, started crossing the Cox's Bazar-Chittagong coast around 6am with winds speeds of over 100km per hour.
The Met office has said that the cyclone has already started to lose strength, but strong winds and heavy rains in Cox's Bazar and Chittagong may continue throughout the day.
Road Transport Minister Obaidul Quader told the media in Dhaka that he was informed by the prime minister's office that around 20,000 homes have been damaged in the storm.
Briefing the media at his office, he said a child has been reported missing during the storm.
Quader said that the government has disbursed cash assistance of Tk 18.7 million for the affected areas. "A navy ship is on its way to the St. Martin's Island with relief supplies. The prime minister has instructed the army and air force to join the relief efforts."
- Most viewed
- ‘Make child marriage socially unacceptable’
- 28 July Deaths
- 28 July Births
- 28 July Events
- 'Lipstick Under My Burkha' success a win for cinema: Ekta Kapoor
- Dogs with cancer may survive longer with high cholesterol
- Playing video games may cut stress at work
- Dengue Fever: Heal with juice
- Enjoy monsoon with the right food steps!
- 22 July Deaths
- Minneapolis police chief resigns after Australian woman's shooting
- Sunny Leone is the new mom in B-town!
- 22 July Births
- Microcredit programmes turn many women self-employed
- Useful tips for beautiful nails
- 22 July Events
- Muslim Ummah facing harassment for involvement of some people in militancy: PM
- Shabana receives Lifetime Achievement Award from Prime Minister Hasina