Unusual heat may continue till tomorrow
Published : 28 May 2018, 17:34
Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) marked the present weather condition as unusual heat, predicting it might continue till tomorrow as the country could see rains accompanied by thunder storms.
A meteorologist of BMD Ruhul Quddus today said there is no forecast of heat wave to sweep over the country soon as overall temperature of the country is still below 36 degrees Celsius.
“Although the city people are witnessing a bizarre weather with an unusual heat, but it could not be treated as a heat wave. If mercury level continues above 36 degrees Celsius for at least two days then it can be treated as heat wave,” he said.
Mercury level is persisting above 36 degrees Celsius only at Jashore while it is under 36 degrees Celsius all over the country, including the capital city, Quddus said, adding that the weather may cool down soon as rain is likely to occur over the capital and its adjoining areas from tomorrow.
Weather may remain mainly dry over the country having chance of rain or thundershowers accompanied by temporary gusty or squally wind and lightning flashes at a few places over Rangpur, Rajshahi, Mymensingh and Sylhet divisions and at one or two places over Dhaka Chattogram divisions in 24 hours as of 9 am tomorrow, said a met office press release here today.
Day and night temperature may remain nearly unchanged over the country, during the period.
A low pressure has formed over East Central Bay and adjoining area, the release said, adding that trough of Westerly low lies over West Bengal extending to Northeast Bay across Bangladesh.
Besides, a weather warning message said rain or thundershowers accompanied temporary westerly or northeasterly gusty or squally wind speeding 45-60 kph is likely to occur over the regions of Mymensingh and Sylhet wherein river ports shall hoist cautionary signal number one till 6 pm today.
The maximum temperature was recorded 36.6 degrees Celsius yesterday at Jashore in Khulna division and today’s minimum temperature 20.5 degrees Celsius in Rangpur.
The highest rainfall in the last 24 hours as of 6 am today was recorded 87 mm at Rajarhat in Rangpur division.
The sun sets at 6:40 pm today and rises at 5:12 am tomorrow in the capital.
- Most viewed
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- AL Anniversary: PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 23 June Births
- 23 June Deaths
- 23 June Events
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM