Unusual heat may continue till tomorrow
Published : 28 May 2018, 17:34
Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) marked the present weather condition as unusual heat, predicting it might continue till tomorrow as the country could see rains accompanied by thunder storms.
A meteorologist of BMD Ruhul Quddus today said there is no forecast of heat wave to sweep over the country soon as overall temperature of the country is still below 36 degrees Celsius.
“Although the city people are witnessing a bizarre weather with an unusual heat, but it could not be treated as a heat wave. If mercury level continues above 36 degrees Celsius for at least two days then it can be treated as heat wave,” he said.
Mercury level is persisting above 36 degrees Celsius only at Jashore while it is under 36 degrees Celsius all over the country, including the capital city, Quddus said, adding that the weather may cool down soon as rain is likely to occur over the capital and its adjoining areas from tomorrow.
Weather may remain mainly dry over the country having chance of rain or thundershowers accompanied by temporary gusty or squally wind and lightning flashes at a few places over Rangpur, Rajshahi, Mymensingh and Sylhet divisions and at one or two places over Dhaka Chattogram divisions in 24 hours as of 9 am tomorrow, said a met office press release here today.
Day and night temperature may remain nearly unchanged over the country, during the period.
A low pressure has formed over East Central Bay and adjoining area, the release said, adding that trough of Westerly low lies over West Bengal extending to Northeast Bay across Bangladesh.
Besides, a weather warning message said rain or thundershowers accompanied temporary westerly or northeasterly gusty or squally wind speeding 45-60 kph is likely to occur over the regions of Mymensingh and Sylhet wherein river ports shall hoist cautionary signal number one till 6 pm today.
The maximum temperature was recorded 36.6 degrees Celsius yesterday at Jashore in Khulna division and today’s minimum temperature 20.5 degrees Celsius in Rangpur.
The highest rainfall in the last 24 hours as of 6 am today was recorded 87 mm at Rajarhat in Rangpur division.
The sun sets at 6:40 pm today and rises at 5:12 am tomorrow in the capital.
- Most viewed
- 5 special Eid-ul-Adha Dishe for guest
- Mother, daughter found dead in Bogra
- Khaleda, Tarique directly involved in Aug 21 grenade attack: PM
- PM pays tribute to August 21 grenade attack victims
- 21 April Events
- 21 April Births
- 21 April Deaths
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self