700 die in Burundi malaria ‘epidemic’
Published : 15 Mar 2017, 12:02
About 700 people have died from malaria in Burundi so far this year, the health minister said, with the authorities having registered 1.8 million infections in a rising epidemic.
“Burundi faces a malaria epidemic,” Josiane Nijimbere said Monday, commenting on a World Health Organization (WHO) report.
From January 1 to March 10 this year, 1.8 million infections were registered in Burundi, according to the WHO.
According to Nijimbere, the latest figures constitute a 17 percent increase from the same period last year.
“Some 700 deaths” have been registered since January, the minister added.
In 2016, an estimated 8.2 million people were infected and 3,000 people died in mountainous Burundi, which is home to around 11 million people.
UN officials and medical sources say Burundi’s stock of anti-malaria medication is nearly empty.
Nijimbere put the cost of fighting malaria at $31 million (29 million euros), as she appealed for donations to help fight the disease.
She attributed the rise in infections to climate change, increased marshland for rice-growing and the population’s misuse of mosquito nets.
Burundi has been plunged into chaos since President Pierre Nkurunziza’s controversial decision in April 2015 to run for a third term.
Hundreds of people have been killed and hundreds of thousands of others have fled the country.
The crisis also led to a 54 percent cut to the government’s health budget in 2016 from the previous year.
“This malaria crisis is even more dramatic because it is striking an
impoverished, hungry population that has no resources and for whom even the slightest shock can have life-or-death consequences,” a diplomat told AFP on condition of anonymity.
- Most viewed
- PM distributes National Film Awards-2015
- Shabana receives Lifetime Achievement Award from Prime Minister Hasina
- Easy tips to prevent and treat cough, cold during monsoon
- The wonder bowl of beauty
- Tips to stay fit this rainy season
- Princes regret brief last call with Diana
- Student commits suicide failing to get desired marks in HSC exam
- PM to distribute National Film Awards-2015 today
- 25 July Deaths
- Tahsan, Mithila announce their divorce
- 2,000 girl cyclists say 'No' to early marriage
- 5 members of ‘rapist gang’ held in city
- Students clash with cops at Shahbagh demanding exam dates
- Unidentified girl dies at DMCH, 12 days after rescue in senseless state
- Australian senator who breast-fed daughter in parliament resigns
- Bangladeshi gets 11 years’ jail for raping tourist in Singapore
- Minneapolis police shooting of Australian woman sparks questions about body cameras
- Don’t ruin fish market for small gains, PM to exporters