Quit fatty food to fight breast cancer
Published : 20 Jun 2017, 17:43
Stay away from fatty food and lose some weight if you are suffering from breast cancer.
A recent study found that "a molecule made by fat cells in human breast tissue increases the growth of certain breast-cancer cells", suggesting why bigger breast size seems to be linked with higher risk of the deadly disease.
A study carried out by Wen-Hwa Lee at China Medical University in Taiwan and his colleagues, to learn the interrelation of fat cells and cancer cells in the breast, found that "fat cells promoted the growth of cancer cells that made a protein called MCT2".
The researchers identified a small molecule, β-hydroxybutyrate, that is produced by the fat cells and is transported into tumour cells by MCT2. This molecule activated several cancer genes, boosting the growth of human breast-tumour cells that express MCT2, states a study published in the journal Nature.
Another recent study found that a chemical - Bisphenol S (BPS) - commonly found in hard plastics, currency bills and paper receipts, may increase the aggressiveness of breast cancer.
Scientists from Oakland University in the US studied the effects of BPS on estrogen receptor-alpha and the BRCA1 gene. It is found that most breast cancers are estrogen receptor positive. A study by the US National Cancer Institute states that 55 to 65 per cent of women who inherit a harmful mutation in the BRCA1 gene will develop breast cancer.
So take a little precaution, reduce fat content in your diet and lose body fat to fight breast cancer.
- Most viewed
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- Kenya lifts ban on lesbian film
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- 22 September Events
- 22 September Births
- 22 September Deaths
- Katrina Kaif’s character in ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ revealed
- 21 September Events
- 21 September Births
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- 2 hijras among 3 hurt in Savar gun attack
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today