How to care for your liver
A glass of water or a cup of coffee can do wonders to the health of your liver!
Published : 07 Sep 2017, 17:53
A healthy liver helps in detoxification and performs over 500 functions.
It turns fat soluble toxins into water soluble toxins that our body flushes out easily and regulates hormones. Hence, take good care of your liver and stay healthy. A few simple tips, including wholesome diet and regular exercise, can protect your liver.
Drink coffee: A study reveals that filtered coffee is more beneficial than boiled coffee, It states that drinking more coffee helps in reducing liver damage that is caused by over indulging in food and alcohol. It is said that the risk of developing ‘cirrhosis’, a disease which kills one million people every year worldwide, may be reduced by consumption of coffee. Researchers estimated one cup a day lowers the risk of ‘cirrhosis’ by 22 per cent, but it declined 57 per cent for three cups.
Walk and run: Regular exercise is the key to healthy body. Take a walk jog or run. Follow a regular fitness regime. Try Yoga, join a gym or work out at home. Workout controls your weight which aids in prevention of non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). So, burn the fat and extra calories.
Eat well: Opt for fruit and vegetable diet rich in vitamins and minerals that are essential to detoxify the liver. Broccoli, carrots, cabbage, beet, onion, garlic, collard grass and other leafy vegetables help in detoxification of the liver. Eat plenty of mineral rich food, including calcium, potassium, manganese, sodium, iron, copper, zinc and others. Avoid alcohol, margarine, processed food, artificial food additives, preservatives and colours. Avoid refined sugar and synthetic sweeteners as less as you can.
Go herbal: There are some herbs which support in detoxification of liver. Organic turmeric, milk thistle, dandelion roots, chicory root, greater celandine, peppermint, and organic yellow dock root can be used for making the liver healthier. Also consume green tea daily.
Lemon water: Begin your day with a glass of water. Water detoxifies the body naturally. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily – that is the common advice by doctors and nutritionists alike. Add lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey to your glass of water as lemon contains citric acid that helps the liver to produce ‘Bile’ which in-turn is used by our body to excrete toxins.
Medication and meditation: Consult your physician prior to any medication. Restrict yourself from consuming pain killers. Taking regular doses of painkillers can lead to drug induced liver disease and failure. Practicing regular meditation like yoga can even help ease the need to take medication.
Follow the steps and keep your liver functioning well with these simple and easy steps. Remember, it is easier to prevent disease than to treat it.
- Most viewed
- PM rules out major foodgrain shortfall in the country
- Tonu’s family called to Dhaka for probe: Kamal
- Sharapova in fraud probe
- Group calls for Indonesian forces to stop virginity tests
- Skincare myths demystified
- Sleeping on back can up stillbirth risk
- Suu Kyi hopes to strike deal with Bangladesh this week on Rohingya repatriation
- Germany’s Merkel ‘prefers new vote’ after coalition talks fail
- Sonia slams govt's arrogance
- Sessions vows Clinton probe on emails
- Stay alert against defeated forces: PM
- Sunny Leone opens up on casting couch in Bollywood
- Jessia to join grand finale of Miss World, 2017
- PM witnesses Dhaka Opera House design
- This is when women are most likely to cheat on their partner
- Jolie condemns sexual violence against Rohingyas
- Germany, Sweden, EU extend strong support to Bangladesh for Rohingyas
- Man to die for killing wife in Chittagong