Khalek wins Khulna City Corporation polls
Published : 16 May 2018, 11:29
Awami League mayor candidate Talukder Abdul Khaleque has won big in yesterday's Khulna City Corporation polls, marred by irregularities such as heavy showdown by the ruling party in and around polling stations, ballot stuffing and driving out polling agents of rival group.
As of 2:30am today, results from all the 286 polling centres show Khaleque got 1,74,851 votes while his rival from the BNP Nazrul Islam Monju bagged 1,09,251 votes, according to the unofficial results announced by Returning Officer Yunus Ali.
Voters' turnout was 62.19 percent, Yunus said.
With this wins, Khaleque, who resigned as an MP to contest the polls, has sweep back as the city mayor for a second time. In the last polls in 2013, the AL leader lost to BNP-backed candidate Moniruzzaman Moni, the incumbent mayor.
In the 2008 polls during the emergency rule, Khaleque won the mayor polls in Khulna city, considered a BNP stronghold. BNP leaders won three of the four mayoral polls there since the first election in 1994.
Soon after the voting ended, Monju alleged of "huge rigging" at 101 centres and demanded re-election there.
He made the call when Returning Officer Yunus Ali was announcing the unofficial results from the control room at Divisional Women's Sport Complex in the city's Sonadanga area.
Khaleque thanked the prime minister for his victory. "I will work for the development of the city people and resume the unfinished jobs on a priority basis."
- Most viewed
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- 14 August Deaths
- Man gets 14 yrs jail for torturing wife over dowry
- Dhaka-Delhi relationship now at its best, says PM Hasina
- Bangabandhu struggled to establish Bangalee nation’s right: Speaker
- Kareena and Ranveer collaboration finally happening!
- Madonna still shocks with barrier-breaking lifestyle
- Google tracks your movements, like it or not
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women