88th birth anniversary of Bangamata Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Today
Published : 08 Aug 2018, 11:57
The nation is being observed the 88th birth anniversary of Bangamata Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib, wife of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, in a befitting manner today (Wednesday).
Fazilatunnesa, who played a pivotal role in nation building activities and the struggle for independent Bangladesh staying beside Bangabandhu, was born at Tungipara village of Gopalganj district on this day in 1930.
Bangamata, a pride of the Bangalee nation, was assassinated brutally with Bangabandhu and most of her family members by a disgruntled group of army officers on August 15, 1975.
The birth anniversary of Bangamata is being observed nationally this year too. Women and Children Affairs Ministry has drawn up elaborate programme to observe the day nationally.
To mark the day, a discussion will be arranged at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) this morning.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has attended the discussion as the chief guest. A documentary was screened on Bangamata.
President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina gave separate messages on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Bangamata.
Bangladesh Television, Bangladesh Betar and other electronic media will broadcast special programmes while a souvenir will also be published marking the day.
Various political, social, cultural and student organizations, including ruling Bangladesh Awami League and its associated bodies, will observe the day in a befitting manner through elaborate programmes across the country.
Awami League leaders and workers paid homage to Bangamata by placing wreaths at her grave at the Banani graveyard at 8.30pm. Qurankhwani, milad and doa-mahfil was arranged seeking peace of her departed soul.
A cross section of people will also place wreaths at her grave. Bangamata Parishad will arrange a discussion at the National Museum at 4pm.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Mohammed Nasim will attend the function as the chief guest.
Dhaka University Bangamata Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Hall will organise a programme titled “Bangamata Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Memorial Gold Medal, Scholarship, Memorial Lecture and Discussion” today on the occasion.
DU Vice Chancellor Professor Md Akhtaruzzaman will attend it as the chief guest while writer Selina Hossain will present the Bangamata Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Memorial lecture.
About Bangamata, Deputy Leader in the House and AL Senior Presidium Member Syeda Sajeda Chowdhury said Bangamata, who used to lead a very simple life, always gave inspiration, strength and courage to Bangabandhu to lead the nation.
Bangamata also used to give necessary directives to workers and leaders of AL when Bangabandhu was imprisoned in different times, she added.
Apart from enduring many odds because of frequent imprisonments of Bangabandhu during the Pakistan era, she also faced a tough situation during the War of Liberation in 1971 with patience, courage and wisdom.
- Most viewed
- 20 August Births
- 20 August Deaths
- Student, Trolled For Selling Fish, Donates Rs. 1.5 Lakh For Flood Aid
- Saudi feminists launch online radio
- Child passive smoking 'risk adult diseases'
- 16 nurses get pregnant at Arizona hospital
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Woman held in city for ‘spreading rumour on Facebook’
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today