Straight women have fewest orgasms
Published : 26 Feb 2017, 21:22
Heterosexual women have fewer orgasms than men or lesbian or bisexual women, a study suggests.
The findings came from a study of 52,600 people in the US, exploring the "orgasm gap" between the genders and different sexual orientations.
The report in Archives of Sexual Behaviour revealed a "variety of behaviours couples can try to increase orgasm frequency".
These include oral sex and manual stimulation.
The study, by Indiana University, Chapman University and Claremont Graduate University, showed the proportion of people who usually orgasmed was:
65% of heterosexual women
66% of bisexual women
86% of lesbian women
88% of bisexual men
89% of gay men
95% of heterosexual men
The research team said: "The findings, however, indicate that this orgasm gap can be reduced.
"The fact that lesbian women orgasmed more often than heterosexual women indicates that many heterosexual women could experience higher rates of orgasm."
Few heterosexual women climaxed through penetrative sex alone, the report said.
The study showed that "of particular importance was incorporating oral sex along with other activities during a sexual encounter".
There was a clear pattern between more oral sex and more orgasms in heterosexual women, lesbian women, bisexual women, gay men and bisexual men.
Only in straight men was no link detected.
Other behaviours linked to greater orgasms in women were:
Asking for what they wanted in bed
Praising their partner for something they did in bed
Calling or emailing to tease about doing something sexual
Wearing sexy lingerie
Trying new sexual positions
Talking about or acting out sexual fantasies
Engaging in sexy talk and expressions of love during sex
The report authors said there were both social and evolutionary ideas around why men and women have different rates of orgasm.
For example a stigma against women expressing sexual desire hampering sexual discovery and a belief in some men that most women orgasm from penetrative sex.
And from an evolutionary perspective they suggested the male and female orgasms served different purposes which could also have an effect.
This male orgasm is all about ejaculation to ensure reproduction while in women it "facilitates bonding with a long-term romantic partner", the report said.
- Most viewed
- Receiving Smita Patil award validates my choices: Anushka
- PM to receive 2 awards for her leadership over Rohingya issue
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- 20 September Events
- 20 September Births
- 20 September Deaths
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- Plan for 5-MRT, 2-BRT, 3-tier ring road, 6-expressway: Sheikh Hasina
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangabandhu struggled for peace and equality: PM
- 15 September Deaths
- Technical school & college to be built in each upazila: PM
- Sonam believes Kangana is a troublemaker
- 15 September Events
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Technology is the best way to develop country: Sheikh Hasina
- 2 hijras among 3 hurt in Savar gun attack