Shanghai streets rule by catwalks of stylish dogs
Published : 30 Mar 2017, 16:05
Poodles in pink dresses, Pekinese wearing blouses, a Pomeranian in sneakers and a raincoat Shanghai’s sidewalks can sometimes seem like fashion catwalks gone to the dogs.
Chinese adore their pet canines, often dressing them up in eye-catching outfits, and nowhere are such furry fashionistas more conspicuous than in China’s commercial hub.
“Pet owners like to dress up their pets, the way they would their own children,” said a woman surnamed Huang as she walked her two fluffy brown poodles, one with a pink bowtie and the other wearing a blue one, through a central Shanghai neighbourhood.
Or rather they walked her riding in a baby stroller as Huang pushed.
It’s big business too.
At least 40 percent of pet merchants in China sell pet clothing, according to Yourpet Market Research Institute, which studies the country’s huge pet industry.
The industry overall generates sales of around $17 billion per year and is expected to grow by 20 percent annually, it said in a report last year.
“Millennials are becoming the main customers with their consumer power growing,” it said.
Zhang Jiequn, a psychologist at Shanghai’s Huada Institute of Applied Psychology, said that for many Chinese, pet ownership “is a kind of escape from interpersonal relationships.”
“The pet becomes a projection of the opposite sex for some people who do not find a partner,” she told AFP.
Dog ownership rates have grown along with China’s fast-expanding middle class.
A 2015 survey cited by the state run China Daily said there were at least 100 million registered pets in China, with dogs making up the vast majority, and that pet ownership was growing by 10 percent annually.
Shanghai which has 24 million people also has an estimated pet dog population of up to one million.
The high rate of dog ownership prompted the city in 2011 to impose a “one-dog policy” limiting owners to a single canine to curb noisy barking, waste on sidewalks and dog attacks.
- Most viewed
- 'Sex and the City' star enters New York governor race
- Speaker off to Saudi to perform Umrah
- Zuckerberg apologises for Facebook data debacle
- People of Bangladesh can achieve anything
- Bangladesh set to celebrate LDC graduation eligibility
- 4 held over Garo woman, daughter murdered
- Gang-rape in microbus: Mastermind held in Manikganj
- PM honored at LDC graduation ceremony
- BD seeks UN support for its inclusive approach towards women dev
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Donald Trump Jr’s wife files for divorce
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry