Published : 16 May 2017, 17:18
A popular rice recipe of Hyderabadi cuisine, Qabooli Biryani is a special dish that people like to enjoy on special occasions like kitty parties and get-togethers.
Also known as chana dal or Hyderabadi dum biryani, this dish is an interesting rice recipe that has layers of rice and chana dal.
This succulent biryani recipe is prepared using long grained or basmati rice, chana dal, yoghurt, saffron and melange of spices and herbs.
Rich in flavours and aroma, it is super-delicious and tastes best with mirchi ka salan, salad and raita of your choice.
Try this amazingly tasty biryani recipe and enjoy with your loved ones.
1 cup long grained rice
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chana dal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 black cardamom
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1 pinch saffron
2 green chilli
salt as required
2 cup water
2 pinches turmeric
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 cup yoghurt (curd)
1 piece cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black cumin seeds
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 tablespoon milk
How to make Qabooli Biryani:
To prepare rice, wash and soak rice in enough water for 20-30 minutes.
Drain the excess water and add two cups of water, rice, salt and vegetable oil in a pan and cook covered till it gets about 3/4 cooked. It should be just cooked, it should not be mushy, otherwise, when we cook again, the rice will get overcooked.
To prepare saffron milk, take one tablespoon of warm milk and add a pinch of saffron. On the other hand, soak chana dal for half an hour.
Then cook chana dal with 3/4 cup of water and a pinch of turmeric powder. It will take approximately 10-15 minutes for cooking on medium flame. Cook it until soft but it should not be get overcooked.
To prepare masala, heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and saute till they become golden brown and crispy. Remove half of the fried onion and keep it aside for later use. Now add cinnamon, cardamom and jeera. Saute and then add ginger garlic paste, mix well and saute till the raw smell goes off.
Add cooked chana dal and red chili powder. Mix well. Now, add curd, salt and mix well.
Cover and cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes till oil separates. Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
For layering, heat a pan or handi on low flame on a tawa.
Spread a layer of lentil masala and then add a layer of rice on top of it.
Pour half of saffron milk and then sprinkle fried onion, mint, chopped coriander and chopped green chilies on top of it.
Again add another layer of chana masala, and a rice layer on top of it.
Add the remaining saffron milk, and fried onion. Sprinkle mint, coriander leaves and green chili on top of it.
Cover and cook on low flame for 25-30 minutes. If using a pan, cover with a tight lid. Steam should not escape from the sides. Seal the edges with wheat flour dough.
Qabooli biryani is ready to be served. Serve it with salad or with mirchi ka salan and salad.
- Most viewed
- Eat right and stay youthful
- Feeling bad without your phone?
- Papaya: Top five health and beauty benefits
- Modelling groomed me for acting: Kriti Sanon
- The mystical scent of a woman
- Beware of processed food!
- Narayanganj 7-murder cases: High Court upholds death penalty for 15
- Indian court rules against instant divorce
- Weekend delight: Unwind with Minty Mushroom Croquettes
- Priyanka Chopra told ‘not to return India’
- Case filed over Pallabi student rape
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- Teacher arrested for ‘raping Pallabi schoolgirl’
- Prospect of progress must not be ruined: PM
- Primary school teacher ‘gang raped’ in classroom
- South Asia flood death toll climbs to 250
- 2 schoolgirls 'gang-raped'
- Anti-Muslim Australian senator wears burqa in Parliament