Published : 16 May 2017, 17:18
A popular rice recipe of Hyderabadi cuisine, Qabooli Biryani is a special dish that people like to enjoy on special occasions like kitty parties and get-togethers.
Also known as chana dal or Hyderabadi dum biryani, this dish is an interesting rice recipe that has layers of rice and chana dal.
This succulent biryani recipe is prepared using long grained or basmati rice, chana dal, yoghurt, saffron and melange of spices and herbs.
Rich in flavours and aroma, it is super-delicious and tastes best with mirchi ka salan, salad and raita of your choice.
Try this amazingly tasty biryani recipe and enjoy with your loved ones.
1 cup long grained rice
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chana dal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 black cardamom
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1 pinch saffron
2 green chilli
salt as required
2 cup water
2 pinches turmeric
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 cup yoghurt (curd)
1 piece cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black cumin seeds
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 tablespoon milk
How to make Qabooli Biryani:
To prepare rice, wash and soak rice in enough water for 20-30 minutes.
Drain the excess water and add two cups of water, rice, salt and vegetable oil in a pan and cook covered till it gets about 3/4 cooked. It should be just cooked, it should not be mushy, otherwise, when we cook again, the rice will get overcooked.
To prepare saffron milk, take one tablespoon of warm milk and add a pinch of saffron. On the other hand, soak chana dal for half an hour.
Then cook chana dal with 3/4 cup of water and a pinch of turmeric powder. It will take approximately 10-15 minutes for cooking on medium flame. Cook it until soft but it should not be get overcooked.
To prepare masala, heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and saute till they become golden brown and crispy. Remove half of the fried onion and keep it aside for later use. Now add cinnamon, cardamom and jeera. Saute and then add ginger garlic paste, mix well and saute till the raw smell goes off.
Add cooked chana dal and red chili powder. Mix well. Now, add curd, salt and mix well.
Cover and cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes till oil separates. Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
For layering, heat a pan or handi on low flame on a tawa.
Spread a layer of lentil masala and then add a layer of rice on top of it.
Pour half of saffron milk and then sprinkle fried onion, mint, chopped coriander and chopped green chilies on top of it.
Again add another layer of chana masala, and a rice layer on top of it.
Add the remaining saffron milk, and fried onion. Sprinkle mint, coriander leaves and green chili on top of it.
Cover and cook on low flame for 25-30 minutes. If using a pan, cover with a tight lid. Steam should not escape from the sides. Seal the edges with wheat flour dough.
Qabooli biryani is ready to be served. Serve it with salad or with mirchi ka salan and salad.
- Most viewed
- Foods to gear up your metabolism
- Katy Perry in 'tough conversations' with her record label
- Priyanka Chopra lets go of her diet on her vacation!
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- 17 January Deaths
- 17 January Births
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Angelina Jolie dating Cambodian rapper-filmmaker
- Here’s what’ll tickle your palette in 2018
- Brooke Shields to launch apparel, accessories line
- 'Govt will move ahead evaluating past'
- Try some homemade hair masks for coloured hair
- Mouth-related problems and their home remedies
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46