Set up your very own herb garden in the kitchen
Published : 03 Jul 2017, 18:27
There's nothing that adds a burst of flavour and aroma to food like freshly-picked herbs from the garden! But for people living in urban settlements, often, that's not an option.
But if you want to grow your own herbs, you can still do so, indoors. And you don't need to have a sprawling patch of land. All you need is a bright space, where you get plenty of sun and a list of the herbs you want to grow. Choose an area in your kitchen with good air circulation, preferable next to window.
When it comes to selecting the soil and containers in which you want to nurture your herbs, go for a pot which is at least six inches or larger and has drainage holes. The larger the pot, the more room there will be for the roots of the plant to grow. As for the soil, opt for a premium mix that includes lightweight ingredients like perlite or vermiculite.
Depending on the size and variety of plant, you will have to water it accordingly. Keep the soil slightly moist for herbs like basil, chives, mint and parsley. A good way to check if your plant needs more watering is by sticking your finger into the soil up to an inch. If it feels dry, it's time to water it. Don't forget to use organic fertilizer in the soil every few weeks.
Here are the various kinds of herbs you can grow in your compact kitchen garden:
- Most viewed
- Nicotine vaping might not be as healthy was first thought
- The rise of the gourmet burger trend
- Celebrity chef brothers bring their signature cooking to the Mideast
- Action if mobile phone operators sell SIM cards to Rohingya refugees [...]
- Process for taking back some Rohingya refugees ‘anytime’: Suu Kyi
- World must join to stop Rohingya genocide: Shabana Azmi
- Couple Has Sex In Domino's Pizza, Then Justice Is Served (video)
- Kushtia BNP leader held for ‘rape attempt’
- PM rules out possibility of understanding with BNP
- ‘SDG Tracker’ & Publication on South South launched
- Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
- PM reaffirms Bangladesh's commitment to end sexual abuse of peacekeepers
- PM calls for taking private sector on board for SDG financing
- Nawaz Sharif's wife wins Lahore by-poll
- 'Addressing climate change means ensuring human rights'
- How to have beautiful toned body
- Women empowerment must to achieve SDGs: PM
- Girl dies falling off easy bike