Set up your very own herb garden in the kitchen
Published : 03 Jul 2017, 18:27
There's nothing that adds a burst of flavour and aroma to food like freshly-picked herbs from the garden! But for people living in urban settlements, often, that's not an option.
But if you want to grow your own herbs, you can still do so, indoors. And you don't need to have a sprawling patch of land. All you need is a bright space, where you get plenty of sun and a list of the herbs you want to grow. Choose an area in your kitchen with good air circulation, preferable next to window.
When it comes to selecting the soil and containers in which you want to nurture your herbs, go for a pot which is at least six inches or larger and has drainage holes. The larger the pot, the more room there will be for the roots of the plant to grow. As for the soil, opt for a premium mix that includes lightweight ingredients like perlite or vermiculite.
Depending on the size and variety of plant, you will have to water it accordingly. Keep the soil slightly moist for herbs like basil, chives, mint and parsley. A good way to check if your plant needs more watering is by sticking your finger into the soil up to an inch. If it feels dry, it's time to water it. Don't forget to use organic fertilizer in the soil every few weeks.
Here are the various kinds of herbs you can grow in your compact kitchen garden:
- Most viewed
- 'Hotel Transylvania' books spot at top of box office
- Khaleda denied bail in Narail defamation case
- Russian woman charged with spying in US
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- PM Sheikh Hasina opens G2P system for freedom fighters
- Theresa May accepts key amendments from hardline Brexiteers
- 592 rape incidents in six months
- 17 July Events
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums