Set up your very own herb garden in the kitchen
Published : 03 Jul 2017, 18:27
There's nothing that adds a burst of flavour and aroma to food like freshly-picked herbs from the garden! But for people living in urban settlements, often, that's not an option.
But if you want to grow your own herbs, you can still do so, indoors. And you don't need to have a sprawling patch of land. All you need is a bright space, where you get plenty of sun and a list of the herbs you want to grow. Choose an area in your kitchen with good air circulation, preferable next to window.
When it comes to selecting the soil and containers in which you want to nurture your herbs, go for a pot which is at least six inches or larger and has drainage holes. The larger the pot, the more room there will be for the roots of the plant to grow. As for the soil, opt for a premium mix that includes lightweight ingredients like perlite or vermiculite.
Depending on the size and variety of plant, you will have to water it accordingly. Keep the soil slightly moist for herbs like basil, chives, mint and parsley. A good way to check if your plant needs more watering is by sticking your finger into the soil up to an inch. If it feels dry, it's time to water it. Don't forget to use organic fertilizer in the soil every few weeks.
Here are the various kinds of herbs you can grow in your compact kitchen garden:
- Most viewed
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- 17 January Deaths
- 17 January Births
- 17 January Events
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- You may be getting the portion sizes wrong
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Angelina Jolie dating Cambodian rapper-filmmaker
- Here’s what’ll tickle your palette in 2018
- Brooke Shields to launch apparel, accessories line
- 'Govt will move ahead evaluating past'
- Try some homemade hair masks for coloured hair
- Mouth-related problems and their home remedies
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46