Stay safe from waterborne diseases
Published : 13 Jul 2017, 17:50
Know what food to eat and avoid to stay free and safe from monsoon ailments.
Water, water everywhere...., but the deluge during monsoon often affect water supply and potable water may be out of reach for many people. The lack or shortage of clean drinking water during flood situation can lead to many health problems.
Over two billion people worldwide lack access to safe, readily available water and proper sanitation at home, particularly in rural areas, according to a new report by WHO and UNICEF.
To remain healthy during rainy season and floods, one must stay conscious of the many health problems and waterborne diseases that one may suffer from drinking contaminated or unclean water and their treatments.
Drinking unclean water may cause diarrhea, dysentery, typhoid, cholera, worm disease and other fatal illnesses. Hence, one needs to take care. While most of the diseases can be prevented by good sanitation and hygienic condition, make sure to boil water for drinking and know home remedies that can easily treat some of the diseases. Know the foods to eat and avoid.
Foods with anti-bacteral properties that heal intestinal or stomach infections
Yoghurt: It is one of the most effective home remedies. Have it along with meals or after meals. It destroys bad bacteria and boost good bacteria.
Banana: It is one of the oldest remedies for stomach infection. Potassium and peptin content in ripe bananas help to get rid of the disease.
Guava leaves: Boil few budding guava leaves. Strain the water and drink it.
Apple cider vinegar: Drink a glass of water with a teaspoonful of the apple cider vinegar. Drink it once or twice a day depending on the condition of the ailment.
Ginger tea: Drink a glass of ginger tea without milk and sugar, twice a day. You may add a teaspoon of honey if you like.
Chamomile tea: It is a soothing remedy. Drink a cup of chamomile tea once or twice a day. It will help boost digestive system and reduce inflammation of the stomach.
Turmeric milk: Turmeric drink is one most healing drinks. It treats all kinds of infections, including stomach infections and cures diarrhea, dysentery and other ailments.
Fenugreek: Boil the powdered fenugreek seeds in water or milk and drink the solution after straining it. Have it twice a day. The high mucilaginous compound in it helps to heal stomach ulcer.
Choose your food wisely. Avoid berries, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflowers and unwashed fruits or vegetables. Remember these easy remedies. Maintain strict hygience and cleanliness and prevent all kinds of waterborne diseases during monsoon.
- Most viewed
- Militants kill mother-daughter polio workers in Pakistan
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern may be first leader to give birth while in office
- Magura teenage girl ‘kills self’ for smartphone
- 19 January Deaths
- 19 January Births
- 19 January Events
- Must-take fitness resolutions for the Year 2018
- Deepika becomes a cop for a commercial
- Dhaka wants peaceful solution to Rohingya crisis: Sheikh Hasina
- 'Govt will move ahead evaluating past'
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Tarana for women’s equal participation in filmmaking
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina