Indian scientists develop ‘healthy’ wine from tea
Published : 22 Sep 2017, 17:56
After date palm wine from Rajasthan, there’s another kind of wine set to launch. The cup that cheers will now cheer Bacchus lovers too as wine has been developed from tea in Assam by a team of five Tocklai Tea Research Institute scientists who unveiled their product here for public.
The scientists from the department of Mycology and Micro-Biology of the pioneer tea research institute developed three varieties of tea wine - CTC wine, Orthodox wine and Green tea wine, said Tocklai Tea Research Institute Director Dr Anup Kumar Baruah at the launch yesterday. Tea wine from the three varieties of tea so far is in the pipeline to go commercial, Baruah said.
Dr Prasanta Dutta, the scientist who led the team, said work was in process since the last part of 2015 till a week ago and it was officially launched for the public yesterday during Tocklai Tea Research Association (TRA) annual general meeting. He said it is a residue-free wine prepared from organic, pesticide-free green tea.
Explaining the benefits of drinking tea wine, Dutta claimed Polyphenols presents in tea wine help to prevent cardiovascular diseases, controls sugar, fights off cold, prevents dementia and some cancers.
- Most viewed
- PM reaches Australia to join the Global Summit of Women
- Vietnam sought Bangladesh's support for membership to the UNSC
- PM urges Australia to keep pressure on Myanmar
- 27 April Events
- 27 April Births
- 27 April Deaths
- Simple ways to protect lips during summer
- PM left Dhaka for Australia to join the Global Summit of Women
- Six-year-old girl raped in Bogura
- PM returns home from London
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge
- 5th anniv of Rana Plaza tragedy today
- Address human rights concerns, urge Asean MPs in open letter
- Hasina to receive global women leadership award