Dealing with sexual harassment at work
Published : 06 Oct 2017, 18:03
The Thomson Reuters Foundation recently conducted a poll across G-20 nations and found that 27 per cent of women in India said they had been harassed at work. Of those harassed, 53 per cent said they would always or most of the times report it.
Some aspects that constitute sexual harassment:
Showing or attempting to show directly or by implication pornography
Any unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature
Physical contact and advances;
Demand or request for sexual favours
Implied or explicit promise of preferential treatment in employment
Implied or explicit threat of detrimental treatment in employment
Implied or explicit threat about her present or future employment status
Interferes with work or creates an intimidating/hostile/offensive work environment
Humiliating treatment likely to affect her health and safety.
What you can do about it:
Speak out: With your HR, seniors, colleagues. Every company must have an anti-harassment policy.
Speak up: Object to the harasser’s behavior immediately.
Keep records: Write down details like date, time, place, names etc. It will be useful when filing a formal complaint.
Create a witness to the behaviour: Let your most trusted colleague know what is happening so that she can watch out in case an incident happens.
Talk to a union: Immediately talk to your union representative.
Get a medical check-up: Get a doctor’s medical report. It will be vital in case of a complaint.
- Most viewed
- Provide stipends among poor students properly: PM
- One lakh Rohingyas to be shifted to Bhasanchar: PM Sheikh Hasina
- Woman gives birth to world’s seventh ‘mermaid baby’
- Rohingya 'militants' massacred Hindus: Amnesty
- Muktamoni dies after battle with life
- 23 May Events
- 23 May Births
- 23 May Deaths
- Actress Tazin Ahmed passes away due to heart attack
- Around 60 babies a day born in Rohingya camps in Bangladesh: UNICEF
- PM Sheikh Hasina’s Homecoming Day Today
- Saima for incorporating mental healthcare in disaster management plan
- Senate votes to confirm Haspel as CIA`s first female chief
- 10 Tips to Pre-Prep Meals for Ramadan to Save Time and Effort
- PM for Nuremberg trial system for war criminals
- Ramadan Recipes: Baked Potatoes
- Royal wedding 2018: Finishing touches ahead of big day
- Kamala Bhattacharya: First female martyr in Bengali Language Movement