Fight air pollution with green indoor plants
Published : 09 Nov 2017, 18:42
As the capital city struggles against air pollution, know how you can purify indoor air.
As the capital city struggles against dangerous level of air pollution, health advisory by concerned authorities suggests staying indoors and avoid stepping out.
“Remain indoors if you have breathing difficulty and try to keep children indoors as much as possible. Avoid morning walks or any other strenuous outdoor activity that increases breathing rate,” the Health Ministry advisory reads.
But is the indoor air in your house any better than outside? Indoor air pollution can be even more harmful if the air ventilation is poor, experts say. So, what should you do?
Plant more green indoor plants to reduce pollutants in your homes.
Why should you keep more green indoor plants?
Green plants purify indoor air and are beneficial to health
Apart from keeping the house clean and well ventilated, keeping green house plants are a good option to purify the air in the house and create a healthy and beautiful environment.
The natural processes of green indoor plants purify indoor air. There are some indoor plants that can remove certain percentage of benzene, nitrogen dioxide and carbon dioxide from the air. They can absorb and release them in the form of harmless by-products. Hence, green plants help in eliminating and reducing airborne pollutants like gaseous toxins, fumes, vapours, dust and invisible particles. They may provide mild detoxification benefits too.
Many indoor plants ensure health by acting as natural humidifiers. They may ease respiratory disorders like dry coughs and colds, headaches, mood swings and certain allergies.
Green plants are refreshing and soothing to the eyes and can beautify a place. And it does not take too much effort to do so as most green plants survive well indoors and are easy to tend. Transform every corner of your house into a lively green filled space.
Keeping a few plants indoors can increase productivity by lifting up the spirits. They can increase your attention span by helping your brain to retain more and focus on the current activity.
Deck up your place with varieties of green plants and give your house a unique and fresh look. They will not only beautify the place but also check pollutants and bring in happy and positive energy.
- Most viewed
- Quota for FFs, their children, grandchildren to stay: PM
- Women in Somalia defy strict rules to play football
- Work efficiently to tap sea resources: PM asks navy
- Boko Haram frees abducted Nigerian schoolgirls
- ‘RMG workers are unaware they are sexually harassed’
- Children among at least 21 people ‘poisoned’ by 'gas' in Russian village
- The Rohingya children trafficked for sex
- Tribute song for US-Bangla plane crash victims
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- 4 plane crash victims to be brought to Dhaka soon
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation