Fight air pollution with green indoor plants
Published : 09 Nov 2017, 18:42
As the capital city struggles against air pollution, know how you can purify indoor air.
As the capital city struggles against dangerous level of air pollution, health advisory by concerned authorities suggests staying indoors and avoid stepping out.
“Remain indoors if you have breathing difficulty and try to keep children indoors as much as possible. Avoid morning walks or any other strenuous outdoor activity that increases breathing rate,” the Health Ministry advisory reads.
But is the indoor air in your house any better than outside? Indoor air pollution can be even more harmful if the air ventilation is poor, experts say. So, what should you do?
Plant more green indoor plants to reduce pollutants in your homes.
Why should you keep more green indoor plants?
Green plants purify indoor air and are beneficial to health
Apart from keeping the house clean and well ventilated, keeping green house plants are a good option to purify the air in the house and create a healthy and beautiful environment.
The natural processes of green indoor plants purify indoor air. There are some indoor plants that can remove certain percentage of benzene, nitrogen dioxide and carbon dioxide from the air. They can absorb and release them in the form of harmless by-products. Hence, green plants help in eliminating and reducing airborne pollutants like gaseous toxins, fumes, vapours, dust and invisible particles. They may provide mild detoxification benefits too.
Many indoor plants ensure health by acting as natural humidifiers. They may ease respiratory disorders like dry coughs and colds, headaches, mood swings and certain allergies.
Green plants are refreshing and soothing to the eyes and can beautify a place. And it does not take too much effort to do so as most green plants survive well indoors and are easy to tend. Transform every corner of your house into a lively green filled space.
Keeping a few plants indoors can increase productivity by lifting up the spirits. They can increase your attention span by helping your brain to retain more and focus on the current activity.
Deck up your place with varieties of green plants and give your house a unique and fresh look. They will not only beautify the place but also check pollutants and bring in happy and positive energy.
- Most viewed
- Saudi women's fitness centre shut over 'indecent' video
- Teenage girl loses leg in Banani road accident
- India cabinet approves death penalty for child rape
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Hasina seeks quick implementation of Commonwealth Declarations
- PM suggests making CW high-level group more representative
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Barbara Bush 'in failing health' won't seek further treatment
- 1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
- PM to join Saudi-led military drill's concluding ceremony today
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- Spread history and legacy of Mujibnagar govt: Muna Tasneem
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- Former US first lady Barbara Bush dies
- To soften image, Kim Jong Un turns spotlight to sister, wife
- Bollywood celebs protest to seek justice for rape victims