This is when women are most likely to cheat on their partner
Published : 16 Nov 2017, 18:28
Scientists have identified a specific window in which women, who are in long term relationships, are most likely to cheat on their partners.
They found that women are more inclined to commit adultery between six and 10 years of being with someone.
However, when it came to examining male infidelity rates, the study found that the window was less specific, with men most likely to cheat after 11 years.
Researchers conducted two separate studies which looked at 423 participants, each of whom was asked to complete a survey on the perceived importance of resisting temptations towards infidelity.
They were also asked to state the likelihood that they would cheat on their partner given the opportunity.
The study, which was published in The Journal of Sex Research, concluded that multiple factors led people to refrain from committing adultery, but more commonly these related to a desire to maintain moral standards and a fear of being alone.
Their findings with regards to female infidelity prove ideas perpetuated by the seven-year itch theory, an infamous psychological term which suggests that relationships start to dwindle after seven years.
It's a trend that's historically been thought to have been supported by divorce statistics, which show that many couples separate around this period of time.
However, according to recent figures published by the Office for National Statistics, the median duration of marriages ending in divorce in the UK fluctuate between 8.9 and 12.2 years.
While the data might extend beyond the demonised seventh year, it covers part of the period cited by the study with regards to women and therefore makes sense as they are more likely to cheat during these years.
- Most viewed
- Temperature may fall by (1-2)°C over country
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- 21 July Events
- 21 July Births
- 21 July Deaths
- Keto or vegan? Hear it from the nutritionist
- Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra: 5 times actress turned heads
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- Putin, Macron, Kitarovic to watch World Cup final