Are smoothies good for your diet? Here’s what experts have to say
Published : 17 Feb 2018, 18:35
A glassful of health every morning has become a ritual for many. Smoothies are a part of our diets for quite some time now.
A drink made from blending fruits, vegetables, and nuts in milk, water or yoghurt, smoothies have been a part of our diets for quiet some time now. They are easy to whip up at home and to have on your way to work. But hey, are they really healthy? Here is the experts’ take:
Packaged vs homemade
There has been debate around this for some time now, and whether what you’re guzzling down in the name of health depends on its sugar content and natural ingredients. Homemade smoothies, apart from being customisable, are free of harmful ingredients like preservatives, canned fruits, syrups and refined sugar that defeat the whole point of having a smoothie. If at all you buy a smoothie, make sure you check for the ingredients.
How to make a healthy smoothie
Smoothies are generally yoghurt or milk-based, but alternatives that are even healthier include almond milk and low-fat coconut milk. Make it nutrient-rich with fresh fruits and berries. If you want a vegetable smoothie, spinach and beetroot are great options. A few options for fruit smoothie combinations include bananas, honey, and water, or bananas, chikoos (naseberry), apples, dates, and water. You can also try adding figs, strawberries, black grapes and honey to water.
The right time to have it
A smoothie made of yoghurt or milk without sugar or any sweetener is great as an evening snack or a pre-workout snack. Make sure the milk is low-fat and no ingredients that may increase the smoothie’s calorie count have been added.
Smoothie vs cooked veggies and fruits
All said and done, having cooked vegetables and raw fruits is definitely a better choice. A whole fruit or vegetable should always be preferred for maximum nutrition. Blending them into a smoothie may result in loss of fibre content.
- Most viewed
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- AL Anniversary: PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 23 June Births
- 23 June Deaths
- 23 June Events
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl