Gigi Hadid covers first Vogue Arabia issue
Published : 04 Mar 2017, 16:43
Vogue Arabia launches this month - and Gigi Hadid has been revealed as its first cover star.
Writing on her Instagram page, the model said: "Being half-Palestinian, it means the world to me to be on the first-ever cover(s) of Vogue Arabia."
Two different editions of the magazine's first issue have been produced - one in English and one in Arabic.
Different images of Hadid in a sequined headscarf feature on the two covers.
"I think the beautiful thing about there being international Vogues is that, as a fashion community, we are able to celebrate, and share with the world, different cultures," Hadid said.
Saudi princess Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz has been appointed the editor-in-chief of the new magazine by its publisher Conde Nast International.
"In one poised photograph, [Hadid] communicates a thousand words to a region that's been waiting far too long for its Vogue voice to speak," Abdulaziz said.
The reaction to the two covers has been broadly supportive - but some Instagram users left comments encouraging the publication to use Arabian models for their future issues.
"Such a gorgeous image, though I wish they'd have used an Arabian model - those girls are so beautiful," wrote one follower of the Vogue Arabia account.
Another said: "Been waiting for this for so long ???? maybe you'll give a chance to Arab models like what Harper's Bazaar did."
Hadid has mixed heritage - her mother is a Dutch-born American while her father is Palestinian-American.
- Most viewed
- Magical good luck plants and trees for home
- Use potato slices to treat puffy eyes
- Jatrabari school teacher held over ‘sexual harassment’
- PM visits Rajshahi tomorrow
- Microsoft introduces Bangla version ‘Kaizala’
- President, PM pay homage to language martyrs
- Nation pays homage to language martyrs
- 21 February Deaths
- 21 February Births
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Woman who got attention by giving birth to 7 kids has died
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Housewife hacked to death in Sylhet, 2 held
- At least 17 killed in US school shooting
- 21 women raped, assaulted on public transport in 13 months: Report
- Youth to die for killing Sherpur housewife
- Momena, Asmaul self-radicalised through internet videos: Cops