Gigi Hadid covers first Vogue Arabia issue
Published : 04 Mar 2017, 16:43
Vogue Arabia launches this month - and Gigi Hadid has been revealed as its first cover star.
Writing on her Instagram page, the model said: "Being half-Palestinian, it means the world to me to be on the first-ever cover(s) of Vogue Arabia."
Two different editions of the magazine's first issue have been produced - one in English and one in Arabic.
Different images of Hadid in a sequined headscarf feature on the two covers.
"I think the beautiful thing about there being international Vogues is that, as a fashion community, we are able to celebrate, and share with the world, different cultures," Hadid said.
Saudi princess Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz has been appointed the editor-in-chief of the new magazine by its publisher Conde Nast International.
"In one poised photograph, [Hadid] communicates a thousand words to a region that's been waiting far too long for its Vogue voice to speak," Abdulaziz said.
The reaction to the two covers has been broadly supportive - but some Instagram users left comments encouraging the publication to use Arabian models for their future issues.
"Such a gorgeous image, though I wish they'd have used an Arabian model - those girls are so beautiful," wrote one follower of the Vogue Arabia account.
Another said: "Been waiting for this for so long ???? maybe you'll give a chance to Arab models like what Harper's Bazaar did."
Hadid has mixed heritage - her mother is a Dutch-born American while her father is Palestinian-American.
- Most viewed
- Mother, daughter found dead in Bogra
- Khaleda, Tarique directly involved in Aug 21 grenade attack: PM
- PM pays tribute to August 21 grenade attack victims
- 21 April Events
- 21 April Births
- 21 April Deaths
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Pregnant New Zealand minister cycles to delivery ward
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self