Gigi Hadid covers first Vogue Arabia issue
Published : 04 Mar 2017, 16:43
Vogue Arabia launches this month - and Gigi Hadid has been revealed as its first cover star.
Writing on her Instagram page, the model said: "Being half-Palestinian, it means the world to me to be on the first-ever cover(s) of Vogue Arabia."
Two different editions of the magazine's first issue have been produced - one in English and one in Arabic.
Different images of Hadid in a sequined headscarf feature on the two covers.
"I think the beautiful thing about there being international Vogues is that, as a fashion community, we are able to celebrate, and share with the world, different cultures," Hadid said.
Saudi princess Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz has been appointed the editor-in-chief of the new magazine by its publisher Conde Nast International.
"In one poised photograph, [Hadid] communicates a thousand words to a region that's been waiting far too long for its Vogue voice to speak," Abdulaziz said.
The reaction to the two covers has been broadly supportive - but some Instagram users left comments encouraging the publication to use Arabian models for their future issues.
"Such a gorgeous image, though I wish they'd have used an Arabian model - those girls are so beautiful," wrote one follower of the Vogue Arabia account.
Another said: "Been waiting for this for so long ???? maybe you'll give a chance to Arab models like what Harper's Bazaar did."
Hadid has mixed heritage - her mother is a Dutch-born American while her father is Palestinian-American.
- Most viewed
- Rumana Monzur graduates from law school
- Attempt to rape case filed against Ctg OC, two other cops
- Day labourer turns successful retailer
- Benefits of different teas
- Taylor Swift keeping Joe Alwyn romance 'private'
- JICA will never stop cooperation with Bangladesh: JICA chief
- Statue of Greek goddess on SC premises being taken down
- 26 May Events
- 26 May Births
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif
- Cannes 2017: Aishwarya unleashes glamour in red gown
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- 19 killed in terror blast at UK pop concert
- PM accorded warm reception in Saudi Arabia
- New Zealand space launch has nation reaching for the stars
- 21 May Deaths
- Change Maker: Seven stand strong