Gigi Hadid covers first Vogue Arabia issue
Published : 04 Mar 2017, 16:43
Vogue Arabia launches this month - and Gigi Hadid has been revealed as its first cover star.
Writing on her Instagram page, the model said: "Being half-Palestinian, it means the world to me to be on the first-ever cover(s) of Vogue Arabia."
Two different editions of the magazine's first issue have been produced - one in English and one in Arabic.
Different images of Hadid in a sequined headscarf feature on the two covers.
"I think the beautiful thing about there being international Vogues is that, as a fashion community, we are able to celebrate, and share with the world, different cultures," Hadid said.
Saudi princess Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz has been appointed the editor-in-chief of the new magazine by its publisher Conde Nast International.
"In one poised photograph, [Hadid] communicates a thousand words to a region that's been waiting far too long for its Vogue voice to speak," Abdulaziz said.
The reaction to the two covers has been broadly supportive - but some Instagram users left comments encouraging the publication to use Arabian models for their future issues.
"Such a gorgeous image, though I wish they'd have used an Arabian model - those girls are so beautiful," wrote one follower of the Vogue Arabia account.
Another said: "Been waiting for this for so long ???? maybe you'll give a chance to Arab models like what Harper's Bazaar did."
Hadid has mixed heritage - her mother is a Dutch-born American while her father is Palestinian-American.
- Most viewed
- New diabetes drug may help obese to reduce weight
- Daryl Hannah debuts as director
- Bodies of 23 plane crash victims arrive in Dhaka
- Cabinet adopts obituary reference for Priyabhashini, plane crash victims
- Housewife found dead in Rajshahi
- Husband kills 16-year-old wife in City
- SC stays Khaleda’s HC bail till May 8
- Janaza of dead Bangladeshis held, bodies to be brought back today
- 19 March Deaths
- FBHRO starts its journey
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Prithula Rashid, a life cut short
- Queen Boudicca: a tribal woman fought against Roman rule
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- US-Bangla flight reaches Nepal with families of crash victims
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin