Gigi Hadid covers first Vogue Arabia issue
Published : 04 Mar 2017, 16:43
Vogue Arabia launches this month - and Gigi Hadid has been revealed as its first cover star.
Writing on her Instagram page, the model said: "Being half-Palestinian, it means the world to me to be on the first-ever cover(s) of Vogue Arabia."
Two different editions of the magazine's first issue have been produced - one in English and one in Arabic.
Different images of Hadid in a sequined headscarf feature on the two covers.
"I think the beautiful thing about there being international Vogues is that, as a fashion community, we are able to celebrate, and share with the world, different cultures," Hadid said.
Saudi princess Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz has been appointed the editor-in-chief of the new magazine by its publisher Conde Nast International.
"In one poised photograph, [Hadid] communicates a thousand words to a region that's been waiting far too long for its Vogue voice to speak," Abdulaziz said.
The reaction to the two covers has been broadly supportive - but some Instagram users left comments encouraging the publication to use Arabian models for their future issues.
"Such a gorgeous image, though I wish they'd have used an Arabian model - those girls are so beautiful," wrote one follower of the Vogue Arabia account.
Another said: "Been waiting for this for so long ???? maybe you'll give a chance to Arab models like what Harper's Bazaar did."
Hadid has mixed heritage - her mother is a Dutch-born American while her father is Palestinian-American.
- Most viewed
- 23 March Deaths
- 23 March Births
- 23 March Events
- 'Sex assault' streamed on Facebook Live
- Eurovision 2017: Ukraine bars Russian singer Samoilova from contest
- Police officer 'stabbed at UK Parliament'
- Girl born with four legs is separated from parasitic twin in Chicago surgery
- Merkel's conservatives extend lead in Germany's Forsa poll
- We have to move faster: PM
- 20 March Deaths
- MA, MSS, MBA, MSc and M Mug exams postponed
- Guys stop doing this!
- Impulsive Facebook use cause brain imbalance
- Indonesia summons UK envoy over coral reef destruction
- PM advises children to take lessons of patriotism from early life
- 'Take vow to make developed Bangladesh'
- IS claims responsibility for Ashkona suicide blast
- 22 March Births