Decision on internet price reduction in next six months: Tarana
Published : 27 Apr 2017, 13:43
State Minister for Post and Telecommunications Tarana Halim yesterday asked the telecom operators and internet gateway providers to inform the people about the reason of price gap of internet from operator to consumer level.
"People have the right to know whether there is any intentional hoax in internet price," she told journalists after a meeting with telecom operators and internet gateway providers at her secretariat office here.
Tarana also said a decision will be taken on the issue of cutting the internet price after six months through holding meeting with Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) and other quarters concerned.
"We have convened the operators to talk about Facebook discussion on the price gap of internet at consumer and retailer levels and during the meeting we have questioned them why there is no reflection of price reduction at consumer level," she said.
The operators claimed that there is confusion in Facebook discussion about wholesales and retainers, speed and volume of internet.
There is VAT, tax, production cost, maintenance cost and for this reason there is price gap between the production and end user level, said Tarana.
"We've asked them to give clarification on every point within the next two days. We would never allow any deception with consumers," she added.
About reduction of internet price, she hoped that a decision on the reduction of internet price would come within the next six months. Tarana said she would talk to the finance minister on this issue.
"If the BTRC, mobile network operators, international internet gateways minimize their revenue sharing, we would be able to do something about the reduction of internet price for the end users," said the state minister.
- Most viewed
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- 9 Bangladeshi women and children released from Indian jail after 4 years
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on AL's 68th founding anniversary
- AL to stay beside people: PM
- Give scope to AL to serve people time and again: PM
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists